• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Marlins showed interest in LeMahieu

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Highly unlikely. They also probably don't win without trading for Urbina or Conine. These are all things that most fans already know about WS teams nearly every season, I don't get what point you're trying to make.

He's saying if Jeter has the balls to get a #1 ace in 2021 then the Marlins will win the 2021 World Series. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

He's saying if Jeter has the balls to get a #1 ace in 2021 then the Marlins will win the 2021 World Series. 

I glanced at the 2021 free agents and I didn't see an ace there, but I may have missed one. That's an important element, something the "2 pitchers away" people don't get. These players have to actually exist and be available.

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/

Lets keep in mind some of these guys could sign extensions and never reach FA.

Let's assume nobody signs extensions.

Going with just starting pitchers, the youngest will be 28 [Aaron Sanchez and Taijuan Walker]. I'd be OK with those guys. Others include:

Robbie Ray, Tyler Skaggs, Julio Teheran, Kendall Graveman, Marcus Stroman, Kevin Gausman, Trevor Bauer [would only be a one year deal cause that's all he wants going forward], Tyler Chatwood, Kyle Hendricks, etc etc. There is a pretty good list of pitchers there.

Could probably get two or three of them for cheaper than a "certified #1 ace" type guy - I'd say Stroman could probably fill that, or Bauer (but again just a one year deal), or Hendricks.

Another possibility that year, along with getting a top of the rotation starter or two, is we could get some stopgap type players, such as Ian Kennedy,  - they won't be good but they could be serviceable giving a decent amount of innings as the #5 starter. Looking for like 150 innings, and I think that's fair and doable. Jon Lester will also be a free agent then but I highly doubt he'd drop down from the $20M he'll make in 2020.

Lots of options there. Money should absolutely be spent in this time. If the drafting and development go well, this team will be poised to strike by then.

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

The Red Sox traded for Chris Sale.

Not to mention, a Chris Sale type wasn't a free agent last off-season unless I'm forgetting someone.

Because they spent big bucks in the international free agent market largely, tbh.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Marlins need to focus on developing an ace by 2021, acquiring pitching is expensive as fuck.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I glanced at the 2021 free agents and I didn't see an ace there, but I may have missed one. That's an important element, something the "2 pitchers away" people don't get. These players have to actually exist and be available.

If the Marlins had intelligence they sign Miles Mikolas last winter before the Cardinals so, as the Jupiter thing was BIG for him and really the reason he signed in St. Louis.

Then you had to find a way to acquire one additional decent starter and you are in the NL East race in 2017.

5 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Marlins need to focus on developing an ace by 2021, acquiring pitching is expensive as fuck.  

I can agree with this.

7 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Because they spent big bucks in the international free agent market largely, tbh.

Good thing the new Marlins regime is doing that even if certain people overlook that, I won't name names.

6 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

First smart thing you've said.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Good thing the new Marlins regime is doing that even if certain people overlook that, I won't name names.

it's actually refreshing, as they should have been all in on the Cuban market YEARS ago at a bare minimum.  

Huge spending in the International Market is largely why the Yankee and Dodger systems especially are so strong.