SonOfJack

FanFest - Feb 9

49 minutes ago, FutureGM said:

I'm sorry but I was at the FanFest in 2012 and it was way more packed than that. You could barely move around.

That would be your experience, but the Fish Stripes tweeter may not have been at that one.

Opening Day 2012 was packed as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Players T-shirt were on sale for $19.99. got me one 

Very good price.

2012 was the Marlins first year in Miami so there are a lot of things to consider. New Stadium, that team was packed too. Ozzie Guillén, Hanley, Reyes, Infante, Stanton, Zambrano, JJ, Buehrle, Anibal Sanchez, John Buck ??‍♂️, Heath Bell ??‍♂️.... etc. They even had a show about the team on showtime if I recall correctly. So fans had a lot more going back then, but I still think this team will shock a lot of people. All the naysayers will remember their words. Go Fish!!!! ✊?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ema2R said:

I still think this team will shock a lot of people

They'll have a losing record this season obviously but I think they will be far more entertaining to watch than some believe.

2 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

2012 was the Marlins first year in Miami so there are a lot of things to consider. New Stadium, that team was packed too. Ozzie Guillén, Hanley, Reyes, Infante, Stanton, Zambrano, JJ, Buehrle, Anibal Sanchez, John Buck ??‍♂️, Heath Bell ??‍♂️.... etc. They even had a show about the team on showtime if I recall correctly. So fans had a lot more going back then, but I still think this team will shock a lot of people. All the naysayers will remember there words. Go Fish!!!! ✊?

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

They'll have a losing record this season obviously but I think they will be far more entertaining to watch than some believe.

Like 75 wins maybe? I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

In fact, I'll be ecstatic if we get that. Would mean 2020 could be more of a push forward by the FO.

• Like 1

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Yeah, no doubt. Im not expecting WS this year lol but this team will be really competitive and fun to watch when we get to see: Guzman, Monte, Victor Victor, Isan, Neidert, Yamamoto, Brinson, Alfaro, Anderson, Pablo, Merandy, Alcantara, Julian Fernandez, Caleb, Ureña, Straily, Harold Ramirez, Candyman... etc ????? eventually they will have to trade a couple veterans to make some room.

I did wind up going, and it was packed, at least compared to when I went 2 years ago, when it was more of a ghost town.

I don't know if the weather had anything to do with it being packed in the stadium, but it was busy throughout.  I'll have a more detailed update on the park in the other thread.

There were a lot of the younger guys there - Riddle, Scott, Brigham, Sierra, etc. when I was there Granderson, Wallach, Anderson, Conley were there too.

There were a lot of things to do outside as well.  A lot of families with kids and stuff - a lot of people actually on the field too (which looks in rough shape).

It seems like the afternoon time worked well.

Regarding the tickets, my mom and I walked up to the entrance (security), and they asked for our tickets, and I was like "what?"  And he just said "go ahead, but next time you need the app/tickets".  I'm guessing the tickets were more just a way to get a better idea on how many people attended (or at least went IN the park, as you didn't need a ticket for the outdoor stuff).

One thing I still wish they would do is have some sort of covering between the park and garages - it was lightly raining today so it wasn't so bad, but when it's really coming down, it's not fun to have to run between them.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Ema2R said:

This is an exaggeration but yes this place was PACKED today. I've never seen a Fan Fest so packed in this ballpark. And obviously yes a huge difference from last year. Feels like way more people "bought in" this year and, now that I think about it, this is definitely more than in the last several years since 2012. So, despite the public narrative and all of the skepticism, I think there's more support now than there was at any point from 2013-2017. We always say how people didn't really support the pre-2018 as much as people say but I think now it's becoming more obvious. This is a way better atmosphere than before even knowing that 2019 is still gonna be a bad year on the field. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Because of Captains Camp there were way more minor leaguers here than normal at Fan Fest and I had a rough time with a lot of faces and I'm obviously someone who does "know" the players. I needed to see the names on their backs quite a bit. With that said it was actually very cool to see guys who are so low in the system interacting with the fans. Connor Scott signed a ball for my kid and I was thinking how this kid was just drafted and won't be in the majors for quite some time but he was already creating memories with the kids here and I realized it's actually kinda brilliant. With the idea being that our minor leaguers will be the stars of our next winning team... fingers crossed Connor Scott is starting a playoff game for us and there's kids in the crowd that got his autograph back in 2019. Its great. I mean it's cool to get a Neil Walker autograph but will that mean anything when this team is actually good? 

• Like 1