SonOfJack

FanFest - Feb 9

If they deemphasize the "baseball" portion, they may lose out on the main demographic of FanFests - kids who want autographs.  There seems to be a tension in the marketing department between appealing to the typical baseball crowd (families with kids) and some idealized version of the Miami nightlife crowd.  I get that for games, but not a FanFest.

• Like 4

I think it boils down to them just trying new ideas because the old way wasn't producing good results. I doubt the change in time or "focus on items" will boost or decrease attendance at FF. It will likely be around the same as it was last year. 

If they want FanFest to be a packed house, it is going to take an exciting group of players. I remember that group of Uggla, Ross and the rest bringing fans out to FF because they were a fun group of guys to not only watch play during the season, but also to interact with.

15 minutes ago, LHPMarlin said:

If they deemphasize the "baseball" portion, they may lose out on the main demographic of FanFests - kids who want autographs.  There seems to be a tension in the marketing department between appealing to the typical baseball crowd (families with kids) and some idealized version of the Miami nightlife crowd.  I get that for games, but not a FanFest.

I agree with this. For FanFest they should appeal to the "die hard Marlins/baseball fans" and just have a few things for everyone else. This is not the event to cater to non-fans or it waters down the point of the event. Nobody is going to this event just for music, fireworks, and food trucks... those that are going, especially with the team coming off a 98 loss season, are going because they are actually Marlins and baseball fans. If they can bring along a couple of friends who aren't baseball fans and entertain them along the way that would be great but those non-fans should not be the target audience for FanFest.

48 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

One more thing about FanFest... having Realmuto there would be really awkward and possibly distracting.

I wonder if he shows up. Players may be required to but not sure.

Well, they better have ice cream this year.  Last year, took my three year old granddaughter, and I promised her ice cream and they weren't selling any.  How is that possible at a fan fest with a lot of kids.  She settled for french fries and running the bases with a high five from Billy. 

17 minutes ago, fish53 said:

Well, they better have ice cream this year.  Last year, took my three year old granddaughter, and I promised her ice cream and they weren't selling any.  How is that possible at a fan fest with a lot of kids.  She settled for french fries and running the bases with a high five from Billy. 

Wow that is really poor planning on their part.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

One more thing about FanFest... having Realmuto there would be really awkward and possibly distracting.

wasn't this the same felling last year when he requested to be traded ? 

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I wonder if he shows up. Players may be required to but not sure.

40 man roster players are all required unless there's a legit reason for an excuse and the only reason I've seen excused over the years is if the player isn't in the country yet because of visa issues, I remember that happened with someone a couple of years ago.

16 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

wasn't this the same felling last year when he requested to be traded ? 

I guess but last year felt more like just rumors of a trade this year it almost feels like a trade is definitely happening so him smiling and looking like he'll be on the Marlins in 2019 would seem so fake.