Sign in to follow this  
hovertical

Rays go cashless

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25855304/tampa-bay-rays-tropicana-field-going-cash-free-2019

Seems pretty stupid to me - particularly for an organization that struggles with attendance and has to continually try and enhance the experience for folks.  What happens when the inevitable "system" goes down and charges can't be placed through?  What about when you have young kids from a school going to a game - are the Rays expecting their parents to buy them Rays gift cards in advance (good luck getting every last cent back on a gc too) in case the kid wants a snack/souvenir? 

Cash is king.

• Like 1

This doesn't seem like a good idea. Having more payment options is fine and good, but eliminating cash seems a little much.

my only thought is that Kevin Cash was supposed to be fired and someone thought "cashless" meant this instead.

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

my only thought is that Kevin Cash was supposed to be fired and someone thought "cashless" meant this instead.

Nah only the Marlins make such dumb mistakes. Jeter found some money under Sherman's couch cushions and told Hill to go get Harper and Machado. So he signs Dixon Machado and tries to sign Bryan Harper.

• Like 1

Moronic for the vendors.  It makes sense at the concession stands themselves, its going to be a pain in the ass for the vendors coming down the seats.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hovertical said:

Yea I thought this thread was gonna say that Kevin Cash got fired. 

The article says this will cut transaction times in HALF??? No way. That makes it sound like everyone was using cash and the employees took forever to count and deliver change. There's no way that many people were paying in cash for this change to lead that drastic of a time change. 

9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The article says this will cut transaction times in HALF??? No way. That makes it sound like everyone was using cash and the employees took forever to count and deliver change. There's no way that many people were paying in cash for this change to lead that drastic of a time change. 

I think they're forgetting that's a "perfect world" scenario too.  Tampa is stocked full of old people who still write paper checks for crying out loud.  How much time is going to be added by people trying to pay in cash and being told no? And again, what happens when the POS system crashes/goes offline due to some error? Maybe they had serious issues with concession workers pocketing cash? No clue but this is idiotic. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, hovertical said:

Maybe they had serious issues with concession workers pocketing cash

This sounds plausible.