Sign in to follow this  
B1az3

Potential Big MLB Rule Changes

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association engaged in a back-and-forth regarding potential rules changes to improve pace of play and discussed other measures, including a universal designated hitter and requiring pitchers to face at least three batters before being removed from a game.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported the news, noting MLB made a proposal to the players' union Jan. 14 that included the three-batter minimum rule. The union responded Friday with a proposal that included a plan for the National League to adopt the designated hitter as soon as the 2019 season.

The DH in the NL is inevitable but I'd imagine NL teams and especially GMs could really make a big stink about not doing it in 2019 because they just went through an entire offseason constructing their rosters without having a DH in mind. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Ugh I hate the DH

What did Dave Henderson do to you?

• Laugh 2

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Ugh I hate the DH

Me too but I've accepted it's coming for years. From the union perspective it's another job to be filled, from a team perspective it protects pitchers, from a casual fan perspective it creates more offense... the only negatives against it come from preferring tradition and since at the end of the day this is a business the other points will win out. There's no stopping it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Me too but I've accepted it's coming for years. From the union perspective it's another job to be filled, from a team perspective it protects pitchers, from a casual fan perspective it creates more offense... the only negatives against it come from preferring tradition and since at the end of the day this is a business the other points will win out. There's no stopping it. 

I hate that you're right, but you're right.

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I hate that you're right, but you're right.

I don't understand the insistence of the mlbpa to have the dh in both leagues. if the rosters are expanded to 26 they get an extra player on the 40 man roster. Why do they have a preference between a pitcher or a hitter?

7 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

I don't understand the insistence of the mlbpa to have the dh in both leagues. if the rosters are expanded to 26 they get an extra player on the 40 man roster. Why do they have a preference between a pitcher or a hitter?

DH would be a higher paid player usually than an extra reliever or bench guy. It is a real new job, rather than a likely min salary job.

Are they expanding rosters anyway? I missed that if so. I thought it'd just be 25 still with a DH rule in there.

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The DH in the NL is inevitable but I'd imagine NL teams and especially GMs could really make a big stink about not doing it in 2019 because they just went through an entire offseason constructing their rosters without having a DH in mind. 

I agree, I like the NL strategy, but the DH is coming, and I think it's time to just do it.  There's NO way it happens for 2019 for why you say.  2020, sure.

19 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

DH would be a higher paid player usually than an extra reliever or bench guy. It is a real new job, rather than a likely min salary job.

Are they expanding rosters anyway? I missed that if so. I thought it'd just be 25 still with a DH rule in there.

They proposed it increase to 26, and September would go to 28, not 40.