Sign in to follow this  
B1az3

Potential Big MLB Rule Changes

14 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The DH in the NL is inevitable but I'd imagine NL teams and especially GMs could really make a big stink about not doing it in 2019 because they just went through an entire offseason constructing their rosters without having a DH in mind. 

There are still plenty of options on the market.

Half of the NL clubs already have guys that they could easily slide into the DH role and make their rosters easier to manage.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Me too but I've accepted it's coming for years. From the union perspective it's another job to be filled, from a team perspective it protects pitchers, from a casual fan perspective it creates more offense... the only negatives against it come from preferring tradition and since at the end of the day this is a business the other points will win out. There's no stopping it. 

The National League is the only league in all of baseball without a DH.

It coming has been inevitable for a while.  This has been discussed for a while, just now apparantly getting out in the public.  

Fans will get over it.  The romanticism with the pitching hitting is just that.  Any fan quitting baseball over this is not a great fan anyway honestly.  And if they are lost, good riddance and get off my lawn.

3 hours ago, 97marlin said:

I don't understand the insistence of the mlbpa to have the dh in both leagues. if the rosters are expanded to 26 they get an extra player on the 40 man roster. Why do they have a preference between a pitcher or a hitter?

Because veteran hitters are basically limited to only 15 out of 30 clubs.

Hitters looking for long term deals are limited to 15 out of 30 clubs because 15 clubs can slide said hitter to DH if their defensive abilities fall off.

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

What if a team loses 90+ games then gets desperate and signs a big free agent who turns out to be a total flop and the team still loses 90+ games... they clearly weren't tanking, by signing the big free agent they sure as hell tried to improve their win total. Not trying to be funny but seriously think of Chen's signing here. That was a go for it move yet the team a basically got worse when he came aboard.

I'd make it 95 games in successive years honestly.  

1 hour ago, Michael said:

How many teams do you all think are going to use that 26th spot for a reliever? I predict about 90% of teams.

Well, that's why the proposal also said a 12 pitcher limit.

42 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I'd make it 95 games in successive years honestly.  

Yeah, I think 95 would be a decent cutoff.  90 you can be trying and have everything go wrong/a pitcher go down etc. and "fall" into that range.

I wonder how Astros fans generally feel about the DH.  I would think their enjoyment of baseball hasn’t been hindered by their league change.  Of course it help when you win the WS....

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Obviously intended to prevent tanking and to increase free agent signings but this may have to be tweaked because it might penalize teams that are trying but screw up too harshly. Like is it that hard to lose 90 games twice? What if you're in a tough division with stacked teams at the top but you're really trying but your ace goes down with injury etc etc and suddenly you lose FIFTEEN spots in the draft??? 

Not fair, after a few years the Marlins will be drafting their first pick in the 3rd round.

The pitcher hitting creates for a hell of a lot more strategy and a significantly more exciting game. It’s idiotic to use the DH in both leagues. Decisions such as having to take out a pitcher in a tight game in the 4th to try to score runs creates one of the most exciting moments in a game. Makes bullpen management that much more important as well. It isn’t just tradition and romanticism. It makes the games more exciting and more fun to watch. 

The really dumb proposals are the three hitter minimum and the 3 mound visits. Mound visits are also part of strategy and make the game more exciting. Bullpen management is also fun. 

Only rule I like is the anti-tanking rule that everyone here seems to have a problem with. 

A report Wednesday morning from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic outlined a number of rule changes that Major League Baseball and the players union have been discussing in the lead-up to spring training. One of them is bringing the DH to the NL, which is controversial among some but probably inevitable. It appears more likely to be instituted in 2020 or the following season, in part for logistical reasons. As one source told Martino, "It's hard to tell teams in two weeks they have to construct their team with a DH." Also included in Martino's report is that several NL owners "remain strongly opposed" to the DH and that "MLB will want something big in return" from the MLBPA.

SOURCE: SNY.tv

3 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

Only rule I like is the anti-tanking rule that everyone here seems to have a problem with. 

We don't have a problem with anti tanking we have a problem with the rule easily penalizing teams that aren't tanking. A team that's really trying can easily lose 90 games twice and  suddenly they're penalized when a higher draft pick is actually what they need.

• Like 1