Sign in to follow this  
B1az3

Potential Big MLB Rule Changes

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

It appears more likely to be instituted in 2020 or the following season, in part for logistical reasons. As one source told Martino, "It's hard to tell teams in two weeks they have to construct their team with a DH."

Ole Silver is right again. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Well, that's why the proposal also said a 12 pitcher limit.

I had not originally seen that, so that definitely changes a bit. I don't see that as being necessary but sure, why not?

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

A team that's really trying can easily lose 90 games twice

I think one thing they could add perhaps is, if you lose 90+ games twice or three times in a row, but each progressive season the team did improve by at least 3 to 5 games, then they're not penalized.

Just now, Michael said:

I think one thing they could add perhaps is, if you lose 90+ games twice or three times in a row, but each progressive season the team did improve by at least 3 to 5 games, then they're not penalized.

I just don't see this rule happening in any configuration. It is too hard to be fair with in the end. There has to be a better way to encourage teams to spend. Better rev sharing penalties or something.

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

I just don't see this rule happening in any configuration. It is too hard to be fair with in the end. There has to be a better way to encourage teams to spend. Better rev sharing penalties or something.

Salary floors?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

We don't have a problem with anti tanking we have a problem with the rule easily penalizing teams that aren't tanking. A team that's really trying can easily lose 90 games twice and  suddenly they're penalized when a higher draft pick is actually what they need.

I did a little digging. From my research, here are the teams from 2016-2018 that would be penalized:

• 2016-2017: Phillies; Braves
  • 2017-2018: White Sox; Tigers
  • All 3 years (2016-2018): Padres; Reds

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

It's the money not being spent that is their problem with tanking so maybe something where each team has a separate balance for free agency and if it isn't spent its taken from them? "You gotta spend this much money on free agency this offseason, if u choose not to use it then fine but we're taking that money back." 

8 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I wonder how Astros fans generally feel about the DH.  I would think their enjoyment of baseball hasn’t been hindered by their league change.  Of course it help when you win the WS....

were pissed for a year or so, but quickly got over it

its coming when they expand in a few years anyway

5 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

SOURCE: SNY.tv

i dont buy it being off the table for 2019