Sign in to follow this  
B1az3

Potential Big MLB Rule Changes

https://theathletic.com/804630/2019/02/06/stark-move-back-the-mound-mlb-and-players-are-open-to-that-more/

Jayson Stark provided some more details on proposals that have already been reported.  Here are a few general paraphrased highlights:

• A committee (which will run through 2019) will be formed to study:
    • Moving mound back
    • Lowering mound
    • Changing strike zone changes
  • September roster changes:
    • expand rosters to 28 in Sept.
    • 12 pitchers through August, 13 pitchers after
  • Draft order:
    • changing draft orders to encourage increased spending

He goes into more detail on what's being considered in the article at the link above, I edited it to make it more general/keep it more to what's already out there, either from yesterday or twitter.

Edited by rmc523 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just now, SilverBullet said:

I see @rmc523 is busy stalking this new story as well. Best Stalker Ever.

I offer my services for a price if anyone needs it. ?

• Like 2

The way the draft is currently structured it is meant to help struggling teams get better. This new way would penalize tanking and the draft would then be a reward for successful teams right? So then how do struggling teams that AREN'T tanking get better? Is this just forcing them into free agency? That bugs me because yes they want more money spent in free agency but that isn't always proven to actually work. We may get teams getting worse because they're diving into free agency more. You'd be forcing more teams to become the 2012 Marlins.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

This new way would penalize tanking and the draft would then be a reward for successful teams right?

Yes but only for rev sharing recipients. So, a team like the Red Sox wouldn't be awarded extra draft picks for being successful. A team like the Rays though would be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yes but only for rev sharing recipients. So, a team like the Red Sox wouldn't be awarded extra draft picks for being successful. A team like the Rays though would be.

Oh I like that. 

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Compared to some of the other things they are looking at, those are the minor changes.