MLB Playoffs to be Expanded for 2020

Michael

I bet this becomes the new format even in a regular sized season. They are going to see too much revenue potential and the fact that more markets can stay alive longer. I can’t see this door closing once it has been opened but maybe I’m wrong. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Michael said:

I would not be shocked if it was early this decade.

Agreed - "easy" way for the league to make up money lost in this season with expansion fees from the new clubs.

They wanted to do it anyway, this gives them an extra push to do it.....plus it's a bone they can throw at the union - "hey, we can create 50 (or X number) new jobs by adding 2+ teams".

Plus, it can also help with the minor league negotiations.  Manfred wants to cut the number of teams, but if you add say 2 new franchises, you'll need however many minor clubs for them, meaning fewer cuts on the minor league side.

Edited by rmc523

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed - "easy" way for the league to make up money lost in this season with expansion fees from the new clubs.

They wanted to do it anyway, this gives them an extra push to do it.....plus it's a bone they can throw at the union - "hey, we can create 50 (or X number) new jobs by adding 2+ teams".

Plus, it can also help with the minor league negotiations.  Manfred wants to cut the number of teams, but if you add say 2 new franchises, you'll need however many minor clubs for them, meaning fewer cuts on the minor league side.

They cut 32 teams instead of 40 or so. Still not great.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:05 PM, SonOfJack said:

I bet this becomes the new format even in a regular sized season. They are going to see too much revenue potential and the fact that more markets can stay alive longer. I can’t see this door closing once it has been opened but maybe I’m wrong. 

They expanded the playoffs in 1981 from 4 to 8 because of the split season due to a strike. They went back to 4 after that until 1994. Still hopeful that they don't try anything stupid like using it next year.