97marlin

Future Marlins Offseason speculation thread

I would love for Conley to get his shit together and earn his starting job again

22 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

So who's spot would Chen take? Whoever underperforms in spring training?

Chen Straily Urena are locks barring injury, everyone else competes for the last two spots. Chen doesn't take someone's spot, he already has his own spot. 

26 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

So who's spot would Chen take? Whoever underperforms in spring training?

Urena, Straily, and Chen are locks according to Frisaro. The other 2 will be determined in Spring Training. Chen’s making too much money and they’re probably hoping to get rid of him.

I think the  most prudent thing to do next is to trade Straily.  He has some value because he has two seasons of control.  But the main reason is to clear a spot for the young guys.  Chen would be preferable but no one is going to trade for him. 

We have Alcantra, Lopez, Smith,  and Richards that are ready to pitch at MLB level.  We also have Urena and Chen.  That's six without Straily.   We also have more depth in the minors with Gallen ready to come up and Dugger, Gonzalez, and Hernandez almost ready as well.  So we have 10 pitchers to juggle in the rotation.  We aren't competing this year so why block a path for the young guys?  

As for Chen, I honestly would consider just cutting him.  The money is wasted at this point.  He has no trade value at all and even if he pitches half decent his trade value will be minimal regardless. We are eating this contract one way or the other.  Just bite the bullet and clear another path for the young arms.

3 hours ago, Ema2R said:

Sweet.  I wish there were an easy tracker for this info.

One factor in the International Slot money is that I think about 8 teams were limited to only spending 300k from past penalty.  

That wont be the case in 2019-2020.

How that changes I'm not sure, but the teams that were limited were trading slot money like candy, because they literally couldnt use it.  

Just randomly looking at defensive numbers with Baseball-Reference ... if all goes well, our 2020 starting outfield might not let a single ball drop out there.

Monte Harrison, Lewis Brinson, and Victor Victor Mesa, all three have Range Factor per 9 over 2.50. Lorenzo Cain, the highest rated defensive center fielder by Fangraphs in 2018, had 2.40. Just to give an idea.

If they can all hit decently, my goodness.

• Like 2

With Straily I think the ideal situation is to wait and hope he has a good first half and then trade him. He probably has some value now but he is the perfect candidate to have a good few months to fool someone into acquiring him and then we get something before he regresses in the second half. 

59 minutes ago, SixtoBullet said:

With Straily I think the ideal situation is to wait and hope he has a good first half and then trade him. He probably has some value now but he is the perfect candidate to have a good few months to fool someone into acquiring him and then we get something before he regresses in the second half. 

But is blocking one of our young pitchers worth it in order to receive some fringe prospect that will at best be a utility player or a middle relief pitcher?  This is the era of hording prospects.  Look what we went through to trade JT.  I say just get the  best deal now and let the kids develop.

1 hour ago, Rydawg said:

I say just get the best deal now and let the kids develop.

The best deal for Straily is around June or July, in my opinion. And blocking a pitcher doesn't seem so bad in another lost season. It would just be optioning someone down for two or three months. 

• Like 1