Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

New Billy The Marlin

Im commenting late on this, but the Braves Mr Met look alike mascot is named Homer. He debuted in 1989. 

I don’t know if you guys remember the previous mascot, who would be seen as extremely racist by today’s standards. He was a Native American guy that would come out of a teepee. 

People are saying old billy scared kids. I don’t see how. Any kid scared by that billy would also be scared by this billy IMO. I’ve heard of kids being scared at Chuck E. Cheese and those are kid friendly mascots too.  Some kids just get scared of mascots. 

"Scared of the old Billy" is just people grasping at straws.

This new Billy would be ok if the eyes weren't so "Anime" looking, I THINK thats the thing that's throwing me off. Him slimming down alot too kinda kills the "joyfulness" of a fat guy, and takes some of Billy's schtick away too.

The "Nosejob" though, I can understand wanting to fix that.

The way they had this mascot rolling around, and acting- reminded me of Minnie Mouse at Disney.

• Like 2

This kinda resembles Little Billy both in appearance and personality, that idea they had for a year or two.

• Like 2

Someone on Instagram commented that he looks like a Tiny Toon and that seems to fit. Tiny Toons was a 90s cartoon where the Looney Tunes characters were done as kid versions, they had bigger eyes, rounder faces/chubby cheeks, and an overall "cuter" look though for Billy that's a step backwards. 

tinytoons_0.jpg

• Like 1

There are only two major problems with him... the eyes are bigger and the eyebrows are more pronounced and it's a creepy look... second big problem to me is that the bottom of the head cuts off in almost a perfect horizontal line. Compare the old head where the bottom tapered and rounded down into the jersey like if he had a neck. This new head is like he has a big bucket on his head. It's bad. 

Minor problems, the fatter chubby mouth is odd, the cleats aren't horrible but how is that better than the fins that he had considering he is a fish? The hat logo omg shoot me. Why is it different than the real caps? There is no excuse for that plus that fake logo sucks. 

I don't have a problem with him being thinner because he's still "fat"... I was more afraid he would be one of those mascots with a big head and an almost normal adult sized body below it, which would make him look like a human with a fish mask, kinda like the body shape that Mr Met has.

Lastly I think it's a downgrade but I can live with the nose job.

Overall he is clearly being changed to be more for kids but I dont think a mascot has to look like a kid to be for kids. The best mascots in sports can take pictures with some adults and it still looks fine. Not this Billy though. 

Now that I think about it he was probably just changed to be different than the pre Jeter days. It's a mandate to change everything even Billy so that nobody confuses this ownership tenure with any before it.

I'm telling you they probably changed all the door knobs in the offices just because Loria's hands touched them.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, el_gmac said:

Meh.  I don't like the eyebrows.  They seem unnecessarily accentuated.  And WTF with that hat logo?

20 hours ago, B1az3 said:

Doesn’t surprise me, they definitely changed the face to a more kid’s toy look and we all know the Marlins are trying to make the park more kid appealing.

1 hour ago, SixtoBullet said:

There are only two major problems with him... the eyes are bigger and the eyebrows are more pronounced and it's a creepy look... second big problem to me is that the bottom of the head cuts off in almost a perfect horizontal line. Compare the old head where the bottom tapered and rounded down into the jersey like if he had a neck. This new head is like he has a big bucket on his head. It's bad. 

Minor problems, the fatter chubby mouth is odd, the cleats aren't horrible but how is that better than the fins that he had considering he is a fish? The hat logo omg shoot me. Why is it different than the real caps? There is no excuse for that plus that fake logo sucks. 

I don't have a problem with him being thinner because he's still "fat"... I was more afraid he would be one of those mascots with a big head and an almost normal adult sized body below it, which would make him look like a human with a fish mask, kinda like the body shape that Mr Met has.

Lastly I think it's a downgrade but I can live with the nose job.

Overall he is clearly being changed to be more for kids but I dont think a mascot has to look like a kid to be for kids. The best mascots in sports can take pictures with some adults and it still looks fine. Not this Billy though. 

Now that I think about it he was probably just changed to be different than the pre Jeter days. It's a mandate to change everything even Billy so that nobody confuses this ownership tenure with any before it.

I'm telling you they probably changed all the door knobs in the offices just because Loria's hands touched them.

I agree with all of this.

The hat logo is INEXPLICABLE.  Like WTF?  Why on earth would you have a completely different logo to everything else?  I guess I could understand if it were the patch directly.  But it doesn't match any patch, any logo, any anything.

I remember them saying they wanted to change the nose because they were worried about the other one poking people, so while I liked the old one, I'm ok with that part of it.

The rest just seems like they changed things to change things like you said.

---

It seems like they went more toward this cartoony version of Billy.

image.png.be30011b917f46408e25ce8774e32c48.png

And for fun, here's a baby billy

image.thumb.png.80fa121fc5dd53be6bdc2404ed2b2b09.png

The only reason I can come up with for the hat logo is for the kids?  So they know he's a baseball mascot?  To reinforce the baseball part of it?

20 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only reason I can come up with for the hat logo is for the kids?  So they know he's a baseball mascot?  To reinforce the baseball part of it?

Nah it was an error by the company that made it but they won't re-do it and Jeter is too cheap to have it done again.

20 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Seems like a stretch. Kids aren't that stupid lol. Nobody saw the old Billy and had confusion about who he represented.