Sign in to follow this  
Italian Marlins Fan

Sam Miller ESPN Article

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25557502/jt-realmuto-trade-continues-stunningly-sad-marlins-tradition

“Of the Marlins' all-time top 25 players, by WAR -- Realmuto ranks 16th -- 23 have now been traded away, rather than held onto until they reached free agency. The other two truly are the exceptions that prove the rule: A.J. Burnett and the Marlins hated each other by the end, but Burnett made it to free agency because the "much-discussed" deal to send him to Baltimore "hit a snag" when the Marlins kept trying to throw more of their players into the swap. The other, Jose Fernandez, died in a boat crash before reaching free agency. The Marlins had tried to trade him too, according to former team president David Samson; it was the other team, Samson claimed recently, that stopped the deal.

This is not normal. The Rockies, who debuted as a franchise the same year the Marlins did, have held onto nine of their all-time top 25 through free agency or retirement, and an additional four of those 25 are still on their roster. The expansion Diamondbacks have traded only 14 of their all-time 25, and even the notoriously proactive Rays have kept seven of their all-time top 25 through free agency. The Marlins are genuinely weird. They trade everybody.

Every trade tells a story. But these 23 trades together tell three bigger stories. That's the first one: The Marlins are weird, all the time. In their own way they're the most stable franchise in baseball, because their weirdness is a permanent state. Each of these trades, on its own, could be justified for baseball or financial reasons, but none of these trades any longer stands on its own. They're all part of the ongoing story of the Marlins: Whoever owns them, whoever runs them, becomes, by definition, Florida Man.”

Do you agree or disagree? I will die a Marlins fan. But good God ?

8 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Why do you think it’s a bad article? 

it's just a stupid premise that there is some abstract force that is behind this. There's no point to the article.

For instance:

Beckett and Lowell were traded for Hanley

Castillo spent 10+ years with the fish and made majority of his $ as marlin

Uggla was rule 5 and absolutely horrible after the trade

Since being traded, Nolasco has been worth 5 WAR (after 18 with the fish)

• Like 6

If anything, I'd say the article makes the case with it's numbers that the marlins have done pretty well trading these players

• Like 2

Yeah, it's stupid.  It's an article just to pile on the fish for the sake of piling on, and I'm sad I clicked on the link.  Yes, all these trades have happened, for different stated reasons, but they do completely ignore the realities of the latest rebuild and the larger reasons for it.

---

If the Marlins didn't have a history of trading players/firesales, articles would've been written in the same light as the Cubs and Astros rebuilds.  It's only because it's the Marlins, it's easy to pile on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, it's stupid.  It's an article just to pile on the fish for the sake of piling on, and I'm sad I clicked on the link.  Yes, all these trades have happened, for different stated reasons, but they do completely ignore the realities of the latest rebuild and the larger reasons for it.

the evidence to back up his case (the 25 top WAR players traded) is pure arbitrary and also extremely shoddy. I can keep going down the list (yeluch and cabrera trades obvs terrible)

It's dwelling on the past and stirring what's in the pot to get clicks. It's lazy writing. It's also slapping the Marlins on the wrist for trading Realmuto as if they're not allowed to trade anyone ever again because of their past trading history.

It's like saying someone can't have dinner tonight because they ate dinner yesterday.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SixtoBullet said:

It's dwelling on the past and stirring what's in the pot to get clicks. It's lazy writing. It's also slapping the Marlins on the wrist for trading Realmuto as if they're not allowed to trade anyone ever again because of their past trading history.

It's like saying someone can't have dinner tonight because they ate dinner yesterday.

So you don’t think the article has any validity to it? 

8 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

So you don’t think the article has any validity to it? 

I do not. It's flim flam at best. I do really like the charts though

• Like 1