Sign in to follow this  
Italian Marlins Fan

Sam Miller ESPN Article

Yeah, it's definitely old news but it's still semi-relevant and makes a point that the new group didn't try anything different other than dump the bulk of the players to save money - and it was a dump, when Gordon, Yelich, Stanton, Ozuna are traded away and you don't get a single top 100 pick back from all of that? yeah, that's about as big of a dump as possible just to save money.  They had a few other options such as keeping a couple of those guys on the team (since none of them were part of the same trade package) and invested in the International draft, they also could have agreed to at least take on some of the contracts in order to net better prospects and hasten the whole rebuild.  A year+ later and they finally have a single top 100 prospect after adding Realmuto to that list of dudes that were sent packing.  So yeah, the article ain't nothing new, but neither have are the results really, so I feel it's pretty fair at this point. But anyhoo, JT was the last name left on the team.  Hopefully they manage to strike gold along the way and absolutely nail a couple drafts and luck out with their picks really shining.  At least Sixto is a cool name.

Weren't Alcantara and Brinson in the top 100, at least? They've come up to the Majors, so I mean.

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

Weren't Alcantara and Brinson in the top 100, at least? They've come up to the Majors, so I mean.

I checked Fangraphs Top 100 Feb 2018 and Brinson Harrison Guzman and Diaz were all on the list at the time. Yes they've fallen off but when the trades happened they did get Top 100 guys. 

Edited by SixtoBullet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SixtoBullet said:

I checked Fangraphs Top 100 Feb 2018 and Brinson Harrison Guzman and Diaz were all on the list at the time. Yes they've fallen off but when the trades happened they did get Top 100 guys. 

That's what I thought. Harrison, Guzman, and Diaz could work their way back on. It's not like we have guys that aren't even in like the top 250 or so.

Weird !? if this team traded all their top 1000 players in their 100 years history then that's really weird and MLB would eliminate this team, I believe it's just the combination of bad organizated operations with the bad fan base in the short 26 years history, it simply would happen in every team.

Edited by taiwanmarlin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Weird !? if this team traded all their top 1000 players in their 100 years history then that's really weird and MLB would eliminate this team, I believe it's just the combination of bad organizated operations with the bad fan base in the short 26 years history, in simply would happen in every team.

The thing is that almost every trade is justifiable in some way at the time they happen so MLB can't punish them for that. It's not like the Marlins traded all these players in one huge trade one day, its 23 players over all of these years in sporadic moments so individually it's not the mass purge that the article is making it sound like. 

7 hours ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

It’s odd that guzman and Diaz dropped out of the top 100. I mean guzman was shaky but Diaz was ok. 

I haven't really taken a deep dive into the top 100 list, but how many jumped in to the top 100 that were drafted just last year, perhaps?

On 2/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, SixtoBullet said:

I dont believe Diaz and Guzman were on the top 100 list when they were acquired.  

I mean if the Marlins find the corpse of Kolek and move him you can say they traded a top 100 prospect then too right??

I can't recall if Harrison was on the top 100 list.

If I recall it was only Alcantra and Brinson on the top 100 list when they were acquired.

At least on MLB Pipeline.  I mean I could be wrong and its just from rogue memory.  

Edited by Das Texan (see edit history)