Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Anderson to play 3B

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

My biggest question is who are 3 starting OF if Anderson isn't one?

VV Mesa, Granderson, Bryce Harper

• Laugh 2

21 minutes ago, fanofthefish said:

Will they use Prado in a utility role? He moved around a lot on the field prior to joining the Marlins. 

I assume that's the plan.

4 hours ago, fanofthefish said:

Will they use Prado in a utility role? He moved around a lot on the field prior to joining the Marlins. 

Admittedly I cannot imagine they use him in all of the spots he's played on the field - don't think his hamstrings would hold up well in the outfield or middle infield at this point. Honestly he's probably limited to third base at this point.

19 hours ago, DTrain said:

I think this move is a little weird. 

Why not give Prado 125-150 AB’s and see what happens?  BA is a stud in RF. 

Are we worried we’ll lose a game or two more than if BA played the whole year at 3B and we’ll miss the playoffs because of that? 

I mean, I obviously don’t know if Prado endorses the FO’s move or whatever but this just seems weird.  

I'm sure it's partly to keep Prado Healthy for a trade, and to keep him available. His body fell apart at 3B.... let him play 1B and pinch hit.

I like this move also... we need a 3B of the future and he can always fill in here and there in the OF.

• Like 1

In interviews yesterday Mattingly said Prado would play all over the field... that sounds like a stretch. To me that means he will be on the bench and be the backup third baseman but will occasionally get into the games at other positions for an inning or two with double switches and so on. I don't think he'll actually start games at second or in the outfield. He'll start at third when Anderson gets a day off and occasionally at first. 

And Prado spoke and just talked about being ok with a utility role since he started his career like that and that health was his priority. So that sounds to me like this was a mutual decision to save his legs from wear and tear. 

Lastly, people will laugh at this but this move signals more of a focus on winning. 2018 "everybody plays" and gets experience even if we lose. 2019 even if we're not meant to win we put the best lineup out there and say we're gonna win and start programming the winning mentality in their heads. This same idea has to apply to the bullpen too, if we are here to win then no more leaving a struggling reliever out there in a key situation just so that he gains experience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

His body fell apart at 3B.... let him play 1B and pinch hit.

I was thinking about this - with his hamstring issues, would it be wise having him at first base trying to stretch out to field a bad throw?

hopefully “we’re trying to win in 2019” translates into less Mags Sierra getting big league playing time

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, SonOfJack said:

My biggest question is who are 3 starting OF if Anderson isn't one?

Grandy

Mags

Brinson

?  

• Like 1

Looking into the future, the outfield is pretty full with VVM, Brinson, and Harrison just to start. So this moves makes sense for the long-term perspective.

• Like 1