Sign in to follow this  
Ema2R

Marlins president implores fans to 'give us a chance'

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1714352

The latest phase of the Miami Marlins' rebuild is complete after the team tradedAll-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto to the Philadelphia Phillies. Now, all eyes in south Florida are on the future.

Despite the ongoing teardown that began during the 2017-18 offseason when the Marlins dealt Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, and Dee Gordon, the club's president of baseball operations, Michael Hill, doesn't think the 2019 season is a total write-off.

“I would tell our fans to just give us a chance," Hill said, according to Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press. "So many people have written off the Marlins and really haven’t taken an opportunity to take a deep look at what we’re building. When you have a lot to do, it’s going to take time and we understand where we’re at. But we’ve been able to add a tremendous amount of talent over the last 18 months."

Hill also said the team has added 38 prospects and high-upside players since the Derek Jeter-led regime change, and prior to that, the prospect cupboard was mostly empty.

The haul Miami received from Philadelphia in exchange for Realmuto included some of that new talent. Jorge Alfaro is expected to slot in as the team's starting catcher this season, and right-hander Sixto Sanchez immediately became the most highly touted prospect in the Marlins' farm system.

In October, the Marlins signed Cuban outfielders Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. to minor-league deals, both of whom could make an impact at the major-league level.

Still, the Marlins are coming off a 63-98 season and aren't projected to be much better in 2019. It's been a while since they last sniffed the postseason, too, and the team hasn't posted a winning record since 2009. Miami also hasn't appeared in a playoff game since winning the 2003 World Series.

• Like 2

I’m not giving Mike Hill a chance; he should be fired. I guess I’ll give everyone else a chance.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Erick said:

I’m not giving Mike Hill a chance; he should be fired. I guess I’ll give everyone else a chance.

I am really surprised he kept his job when DJ cleaned house. Unless he's just waiting for his contract to expire.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I am really surprised he kept his job when DJ cleaned house. Unless he's just waiting for his contract to expire.

We thought that at the beginning but it would be really weird to do that after so long. If Jeter truly believes we have done a great job in rebuilding this organization over the last year then he has to give a lot of credit to Hill so how do you let Hill go this long as just a transitional piece? You actually then run the risk of the next guy undoing everything Hill did right.

I figured he was kept for the first year as the guy who knew the system, and would be replaced this offseason, but I guess they like what he's been doing?

Sure, Mike. The over/under looks like it’s right around 64. I’ll be taking the under again - if anything the Marlins should be worse this year unless a)Brinson suddenly figures out how to hit or b)VVM turns into Mike Trout. A couple of reasons for this. They had 3 guys on the whole team last year who hit over 12 HR in a league where everybody has power, and all 3 of them are gone now (JT, Bour and Dietrich). The Mets probably aren’t going to stink this year. The rotation looks basically like last year’s except they’re going to have to give Alcantara 30+ starts to see if he has a role to play in the future. The bullpen has not been improved, either. They lost 98 last year, and that was 5 games better than their Pythagorean W/L, so they were lucky not to lose 100 last year. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

5 minutes ago, bmg42 said:

Sure, Mike. The over/under looks like it’s right around 64. I’ll be taking the under again

I don't think he meant give us a chance in terms of being competitive in 2019. I think he meant give us a chance as in the future of the club and the current rebuild.

I am hoping this builds, but then I hear strange explanations.  Like on Saturday, explaining the Realmuto trade, like we don't know why and understand it.  So, we get the explanation that "we traded 2 years of control for 17 years".  Sure, I get the math but it does not make sense.  Can we then say that if we went out and spent 250 million for 25 free agents on a one year deal that we are buying 25 years of control.

My point is that a silly explanation is ridiculous, just be open about it.  We all know what's up with JT at this point so the team needs to just say we made the best deal we thought was available.  Done.   

• Like 1