Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests

3 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

We had no idea how bad the virus was in March

Could you elaborate because I remember it much differently than you seem to 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

And to Sherman's point earlier, this is why you had a 60 man roster.

If you chose to put prospects on it that you had no intention of playing thats on the teams.

It just goes to show two things:

a. its always been about money a-z.  Then maybe at aa. you start discussing health.

b. not being in a bubble is proving to be stupid as many said.  A decision fueled largely by greed.

I blame both owners and players equally.  They are both at fault equally as much.

The point of having a 60 man roster wasn’t to have everybody in Jupiter promoted all at once.

No team would be able to survive this. As a matter of fact, if it would’ve happened to another team, the season probably would’ve been cancelled already. Let this happen to the Yankees or Dodgers and watch how the reaction around the league changes.

• Like 4
  • SonOfJack changed the title to Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests
2 minutes ago, Erick said:

The point of having a 60 man roster wasn’t to have everybody in Jupiter promoted all at once.

No team would be able to survive this. As a matter of fact, if it would’ve happened to another team, the season probably would’ve been cancelled already. Let this happen to the Yankees or Dodgers and watch how the reaction around the league changes.

Agreed 1000%

They would not have paused the Yanks or Dodgers, but continuing on without the fish is totally ok

Pausing just the Marlins is a temporary fix. There's no way this doesn't happen to several other teams so eventually everything will stop. Awful situation and selfishly angry that it's us yet again. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Pausing just the Marlins is a temporary fix. There's no way this doesn't happen to several other teams so eventually everything will stop. Awful situation and selfishly angry that it's us yet again. 

Agreed, but this temporary fix would not happen with some other clubs. Not a chance they'd continue playing without certain teams.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Seriously, can we go back to being the Florida Marlins.

We’ve been cursed ever since we became Miami.

10 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I need a team to root for until the Marlins are back. Give me some options.

I'll go with the Rays for now. Closest to me anyways.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Could you elaborate because I remember it much differently than you seem to 

All I remember is grainy flip phone vids from China of people passing out on the streets, official death count was like 50k but everyone assumed they were downplaying the numbers, Italy was getting hit real hard, WHO kept saying not to wear masks or something....it was kinda crazy and there wasn't a large, verified sample size of cases to know what a real death rate was. Remember when people were throwing out 2-3%? Just look at the stock market, panic and uncertainty in March and steady uptrend since as more info was available (I admit there's other confounding variables of course). And just personally, I didn't leave my house in Feb, March, or April except once in Feb to stock up. And look at the protests now, if people were actually scared they wouldn't be out in mass gatherings for over a month now. Revealed preferences, don't listen to what people say.

23 minutes ago, Erick said:

Yes please.

57 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

agree, if Marlins can't play certain games you don't forfeit and give them the win, just base it on whatever winning % at the end.  that screws other teams over.

36 minutes ago, Erick said:

No thanks. It should have always been Miami Marlins. And curses aren’t real. 

All it's going to take to cancel the season is for one or two of the premier teams to go through the same thing and poof, like magic, season will be shut down. 

The testing that is available is also pretty sub-standard as far as most normal tests go to check for diseases. I get it that that's what's available so we make due.  But speaking as someone who had the deep nasal brain poke swab done that came back negative, only to find out I was positive, and in listening to my own PCP tell me that in her experience the results of all tests (even the antibody one) have been wildly inaccurate, I don't really expect any team to get through this season without going through this same sort of event. 

I'd say it would possibly be a good thing for the Marlins that they'd get "over" this up front, but even after you've gone through it, there doesn't really seem to be an immunity as there are multiple strains and plenty of people keep getting sick again.  One of the worst things was you'd feel better for a couple days in a row and think you're over it and wham, it comes right back, wash, rinse, repeat.  I only held on to make sure I'd be here for Larry's return one day.

When this happens to a team with a large fanbase though, there's going to be an immediate outcry. I'm sure the running joke right now is who cares if the Marlins can't play since we basically forfeit the games by fielding our normal MLB roster of players.  (tell that to the butthurt phils pitchers though after this last series).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erick said:

Oh I dont doubt that. But the point of the 60 man roster was to have enough players over a season to account for covid, injury, et al.  Not necessarily promote all at once but with so many organizations have 15 players plus there for development, shows how moronic teams have been in general at looking at things from a non health standpoint preparing for all situations.

They should have been able to handle 10 players out at once no problem IMO.    Maybe not 20 though.  lol

I think another point not being looked at is teams using commerical flights instead of chartered flights because its 'safer'?

Huh?

Makes no sense.  

That reeks of teams being cheap.  Charter flights, control all aspects of the flight and you keep control.

MLB has been a fucking disaster with the restart from day 1.  

They need to learn to be leaders and not idiots.  And take lessons from the NBA and NHL in how to restart a season correctly.

NFL idiots will be next.  Guaranteed.  

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

All I remember is grainy flip phone vids from China of people passing out on the streets, official death count was like 50k but everyone assumed they were downplaying the numbers, Italy was getting hit real hard, WHO kept saying not to wear masks or something....it was kinda crazy and there wasn't a large, verified sample size of cases to know what a real death rate was. Remember when people were throwing out 2-3%? Just look at the stock market, panic and uncertainty in March and steady uptrend since as more info was available (I admit there's other confounding variables of course). And just personally, I didn't leave my house in Feb, March, or April except once in Feb to stock up. And look at the protests now, if people were actually scared they wouldn't be out in mass gatherings for over a month now. Revealed preferences, don't listen to what people say.

So speaking specifically to the ability to host sporting events I remember it slightly more specifically.  Italy was the first to hold events without fans as a result of the public health crisis. They started seeing positive tests among players and they suspended the season.  Olympiakos (a Greek team) was playing Arsenal in London. Their owner tested positive and shortly after the Arsenal manager tested positive.  This kicked off several days where leagues cancelled.  This had a domino effect into the US where we had that NBA player test positive.  The NCAA tournament cancelled. This all happened within a weeks time and it stemmed from european athletes testing

its just interesting to see the difference in responses now compared to then when as you clearly pointed out there was quite a bit  of global concern then just like there is now