Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests

2 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

It was Nightengale with the initial rumor? Ok.

Look, I hate journalists as much as the next person but every time we've tried to defend the Marlins from a rumor the last 2 decades it's turned out to be true. 

It was not Nightengale who started it, it was some random dude on Twitter who is best known for being a sometimes Twitch streamer.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm glad we'll be back to playing on Tuesday. I've got all of next week off from work so this will be nice.

You should have taken this past week off so they would've played. They are clearly doing it for you.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

You're right, just wouldn't think it takes this long to figure out. And like Mish said, MLB should really clear the air on that situation before the Marlins take the field again. 

I agree with that.

Also reveal what the Cardinals did.

Villar and Aguilar are both negatives.

And Heyman says if all the recent additions play then there are still 11 spots to fill by Tuesday. Brinson and Joyce are all but confirmed there, you'd think Harrison and Yamamoto are getting called as well. The rest is a little less clear. 

Also, kinda curious if Alfaro is anywhere close to returning since he was the first positive you would presume he returns first though not sure exactly how that works. 

For anyone who has The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1967824/2020/08/01/mlb-suspects-marlins-broke-covid-19-protocols-but-doubts-nightlife-to-be-cause/

Key points:

- MLB does not believe "nightlife" was involved.

- League is aware of rumors but has not finalized investigation yet

- MLB suspects a "super spreader" individual who got most the infections

- The league has assured the PA that it won't seek discipline related to COVID-19 but the investigations department is talking a ton to the Marlins players right now

Then it mentions Cardinals, Phillies, etc.

Could have a delay even in the Tuesday return due to hurricane.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Did they elaborate on this? Does this mean no punishment for breaking protocol? Or maybe the team has to do the punishing? 

Not really. No punishment I guess. They're already being suspended by proxy due to having to sit out for now, if you think about it.

7 minutes ago, Michael said:

Not really. No punishment I guess. They're already being suspended by proxy due to having to sit out for now, if you think about it.

Not to mention having to now play down 18 of their "better" players and after a long layoff. They basically punished themselves. 

Anyways if the problem really was just not wearing the masks enough then I don't think you can really punish them because that's like 90% of everyone in MLB right now. It also wasn't a mandate to wear them. And to be fair nobody better complain because I don't know one person on this planet who wears their mask at all times in front of even their closest loved ones. I'd assume most people don't wear masks at home with their family and this is basically the same thing especially when no one felt sick. 

But masks should be mandatory for everyone in MLB now and then heavily enforce it from now on. 

• Like 1