Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests

30 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Anyways if the problem really was just not wearing the masks enough then I don't think you can really punish them because that's like 90% of everyone in MLB right now. It also wasn't a mandate to wear them. And to be fair nobody better complain because I don't know one person on this planet who wears their mask at all times in front of even their closest loved ones. I'd assume most people don't wear masks at home with their family and this is basically the same thing especially when no one felt sick. 

But masks should be mandatory for everyone in MLB now and then heavily enforce it from now on. 

If MLB and the MLBPA were actually half serious about the virus that would have been the case from the start.  

It shouldnt take MLB to tell the players to fucking get serious, they are all fucking adults. 

This is 100% on both sides, make no mistake.

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

This is 100% on both sides, make no mistake

This time I agree with this particular set of words strung together.

Sure MLB should have strict protocols in place, but my goodness these are also adults. Make some smart decisions.

It may have been an innocent mistake of going downstairs to grab a brew. Maybe the hotel bartender had the virus (assuming the hotel bar story is accurate). But c'mon. Get a beer on the plane ride or something.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

It may have been an innocent mistake of going downstairs to grab a brew.

I don't consider this an innocent mistake, a beer is not a necessity and getting it at the bar is even less smart (as opposed to a delivery to their hotel room, would have been smarter.) If they went out of their room for dinner that's easier to defend of course. Then again, maybe teams should be making sure meals are delivered safely to their rooms. Players shouldn't be out looking for dinner on the road right now. 

I agree both the players and MLB are at fault here but a bigger issue is the assumption that everyone at the ballparks is negative until testing positive. THAT is the reason that masks aren't mandatory yet and to be honest I don't blame them for that up to this point. If everyone there has tested negative then of course they will think it's ok to be without masks. This is also the same reason it seemed ok to even play last Sunday because the only positive tests came from Alfaro Cooper Ramirez and Urena yet not one of those people were at the ballpark on Sunday. Everyone at the Sunday game had their most recent tests come back negative. This is why the Marlins and the Phillies and MLB thought the Sunday game could go on. This mindset has to now change moving forward but I 100% see how this was the case up until a week ago. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree both the players and MLB are at fault here but a bigger issue is the assumption that everyone at the ballparks is negative until testing positive. THAT is the reason that masks aren't mandatory yet and to be honest I don't blame them for that up to this point. If everyone there has tested negative then of course they will think it's ok to be without masks. This is also the same reason it seemed ok to even play last Sunday because the only positive tests came from Alfaro Cooper Ramirez and Urena yet not one of those people were at the ballpark on Sunday. Everyone at the Sunday game had their most recent tests come back negative. This is why the Marlins and the Phillies and MLB thought the Sunday game could go on. This mindset has to now change moving forward but I 100% see how this was the case up until a week ago. 

Another thing that needs to be looked at is the delay between tests and results. Take the test in the morning and you don't know until the next day, that's not helpful when you have games THAT NIGHT.

Have a good friend of mine whose wife got tested yesterday or Friday and she got her results in 20 minutes. TWENTY MINUTES. Why can't MLB get tests that quick? It would have prevented a ton of this, too.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Why can't MLB get tests that quick? It would have prevented a ton of this, too.

The teams are using the rapid tests at times to get an idea but MLB isn't counting the results because they aren't as accurate apparently.

14 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

The teams are using the rapid tests at times to get an idea but MLB isn't counting the results because they aren't as accurate apparently.

As fast as they are, why not run the tests 10 times per player during the day? If any of them pops positive, they isolate until they know for sure. 

The only way they could really do this safely and accurately as far as testing is if they played like two or three times a week to be sure they only played after confirmed test results. Like get tested Monday then isolate until they get results Tuesday or Wednesday then play that night and then after that game get tested again and nobody plays until those results come in and repeat that cycle. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The only way they could really do this safely and accurately as far as testing is if they played like two or three times a week to be sure they only played after confirmed test results. Like get tested Monday then isolate until they get results Tuesday or Wednesday then play that night and then after that game get tested again and nobody plays until those results come in and repeat that cycle. 

So one game every 3 days? Only need two starting pitchers then. It'd be like Optimist Ball.