Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests

4 minutes ago, miamibaseball said:

i see baltimore not allowing marlin play their city and state of Maryland saying  their dont team bring virus their

You predicting this or you saw someone say that is happening?

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

You predicting this or you saw someone say that is happening?

it happen in toronto in Canada can happy in usa city were state wont allow team that so many play sick come into their town and state we see soon if that happen i think we better chance playing home friday and playing in baltimore

4 minutes ago, gizmo said:

Is this our only series with Baltimore? Too lazy to check

Yes, home and home. 4 games total this season and on 4 straight days.

• Banana 1
52 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Do the tests just take that long to process in the sense of they have to let it sit for X hours?  I'm just curious why it takes 12-24 hours?

To my understanding there are two different types of test.  One is a quick swab test that takes only a few hours to get a result. 

The other test, which to my knowledge is far more accurate, is a deeper test taking a sample from deeper in the respiratory system which takes more around a day to get complete results from.

People keep saying on twitter that the Marlins withheld the information and didn't notify the Phillies. I saw a quote from Girardi saying they were made aware of it hours before the game.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

People keep saying on twitter that the Marlins withheld the information and didn't notify the Phillies. I saw a quote from Girardi saying they were made aware of it hours before the game.

Fuckers going to hate. 

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Also people are misinterpreting what was known on Sunday. The Marlins on Sunday morning knew of 4 positive tests and the rest of the team was negative. They didn't find out about the other 10 or more until late Sunday if not Monday morning. A lot of people are thinking and saying that the Marlins knew of the big 14 person outbreak on Sunday and that they still chose to play knowing that. That's not the case. The Marlins chose to play because they thought only 4 players had it, and this is the same reason the Phillies agreed to play Sunday as well. 

Having stepped away from this for a few hours, there's no word of any of the Marlins actually feeling sick or in any real danger. If one or two teams have an outbreak each week yet almost all cases are asymptomatic and no real health dangers it wouldn't shock me if MLB is "ok" with this and then it just becomes "the new normal" and most teams will have to eventually deal with it and we just postpone some games here and there yet still carry on.

It's fucked up but I think this is probably what MLB is hoping for. 

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Having stepped away from this for a few hours, there's no word of any of the Marlins actually feeling sick or in any real danger. If one or two teams have an outbreak each week yet almost all cases are asymptomatic and no real health dangers it wouldn't shock me if MLB is "ok" with this and then it just becomes "the new normal" and most teams will have to eventually deal with it and we just postpone some games here and there yet still carry on.

It's fucked up but I think this is probably what MLB is hoping for. 

Gotta make that money!

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

If I've learned anything in the past few months, it's that people are fucking morons, and that not everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

Gotta love this line from Manfred:

“We think we can keep people safe and continue to play,” Manfred said (per Bryan Hoch of MLB.com and Bill Shakin of the Los Angeles Times), adding that the league hasn’t seriously considering shutting down the season at this point. For MLB to do that, it would require one of its teams “losing a number of players that rendered it completely non-competitive,” Manfred stated.

As if losing 11 players at once doesnt make the team non competitive...

Not saying this should automatically trigger them cancelling the season, but that's a dumb line.

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

If I've learned anything in the past few months, it's that people are fucking morons, and that not everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

That sounds like something a moron would say that thinks he's entitled to his own opinion......

(yes it's a joke)

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

“We think we can keep people safe and continue to play,” Manfred said (per Bryan Hoch of MLB.com and Bill Shakin of the Los Angeles Times), adding that the league hasn’t seriously considering shutting down the season at this point. For MLB to do that, it would require one of its teams “losing a number of players that rendered it completely non-competitive,” Manfred stated.

Not saying this should automatically trigger them cancelling the season, but that's a dumb line.

I think Manfred is saying our farm system is legit.

That's how I'm choosing to read that.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Manfred is a fish out of water (no pun intended).  Not the slightest clue what he's doing or talking about.

Edited by cyoung
28 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

If the Dodgers or Yankees lost 11 players this would be different. 

If the Dodgers or Yankees lost three players (less than our original four) they'd have shut it down immediately.

• Like 2

This situation reminds me of the Gallen trade, very aggressive. Getting the whole starting lineup sick all at once rather than spreading it out gives us an advantage in the playoffs if we make it. Risky move but could pay dividends.

• Haha 3
  • Banana 1
1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

They said we would have news late last night or early this morning. So where is it?

I thought I had seen that they wouldn’t no late last night or early in the morning and the media would probably know later. Can’t remember who said it.

6 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

This situation reminds me of the Gallen trade, very aggressive. Getting the whole starting lineup sick all at once rather than spreading it out gives us an advantage in the playoffs if we make it. Risky move but could pay dividends.

Jeter, Friday morning pregame speech:  "fellas I've been reading on the web about herd immunity..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Banana 1
  • SonOfJack changed the title to Marlins season paused following positive COVID tests
  • SonOfJack locked this topic