Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

MLB prepared to ditch clock until 2022

Imo there should never be a pitch clock in baseball..... don't keep ruining the game manfred!!!

• Like 2

so by 2022 the new millennials and post millennials fans will bitch or accept a stupid clock in baseball ?

For those too lazy to read the article, here are the highlights:

single trade deadline of July 31st

three-batter minimum per pitcher (by 2020)

26-man roster (by 2020) and 28-man September roster (with 13 and 14-pitcher limits)

15-day injured list and 15-day minimum optional assignment

further limitations on mound visits, position-player pitching, and time between innings

Oddly enough I've actually liked the pitch clock. Yankees and Rays had a game with a final of 13-8 and it only went 2 3/4 hours. It kept things rolling and kept me intrigued, I'll admit. Might lead to more offense in the long run, who knows?

I used to hate the idea of pitch clocks but there's so many exceptions that don't make it as bad as it sounds at first. For example, it never counts on the first pitch of an at bat and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even go on when runners are on base. It's basically just hurrying up situations when no one is on base and the pitcher is killing time for almost no reason at all. 

With that said, I don't understand why they keep insisting on throwing this into the majors out of nowhere. What they really should do is institute it all over the minor leagues for like three straight seasons and then bring it to MLB. Why? Instead of having a bunch of major leaguers grumpy about the pitch clock you're getting all these minor league players used to it first and then in 3 years when these same players are now up in the majors there's no complaints because they're used to it. It also eases the silly adjustment period that would come with throwing it into MLB right away.

I'm not sure why it seems like this idea hasn't even been brought up yet.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:23 AM, rmc523 said:

For those too lazy to read the article, here are the highlights:

single trade deadline of July 31st

three-batter minimum per pitcher (by 2020)

26-man roster (by 2020) and 28-man September roster (with 13 and 14-pitcher limits)

15-day injured list and 15-day minimum optional assignment

further limitations on mound visits, position-player pitching, and time between innings

I'm not opposed to the roster size adjustments, and changing the DL to the I.L. 

Everything else needs to be left alone. A couple of very loose rules restricting time between pitches and innings would be more than sufficient. Guys that are notorious for wasting time, you get a little bit more strict with them. Leave it to the umpire's discretion.

The batter minimum between pitching changes, more restricted mound visits, and anything else that is geared toward restricting the time of play needs to be left alone. There's only so many things you can do before you damage the integrity of the game that we all grew up loving.

Football is a good example of this - the popularity began to suffer when they made quarterbacks untouchable & started with all of the targeting and unnecessary roughness calls. 

Just leave the game alone...

• Like 1

The batters faced minimum is really bad. I hate it. I understand the general idea of trying to limit wasted time but I hate rules that are made to make the game easier for the players. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The batters faced minimum is really bad. I hate it. I understand the general idea of trying to limit wasted time but I hate rules that are made to make the game easier for the players. 

It completely changes the game, and the pitcher/hitter match-ups.  Can't do it - it sounds silly, but that's catastrophic for the game.

If people argue a DH would ruin the NL (myself included), this is 100 times worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't even go on when runners are on base.

Pretty sure it does. I think the proposed idea was 18 seconds with nobody on and 20 seconds with runners on. The clock has been stopping when the pitcher comes set, at least that's what I've noticed.