Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

MLB prepared to ditch clock until 2022

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I used to hate the idea of pitch clocks but there's so many exceptions that don't make it as bad as it sounds at first. For example, it never counts on the first pitch of an at bat and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even go on when runners are on base. It's basically just hurrying up situations when no one is on base and the pitcher is killing time for almost no reason at all. 

With that said, I don't understand why they keep insisting on throwing this into the majors out of nowhere. What they really should do is institute it all over the minor leagues for like three straight seasons and then bring it to MLB. Why? Instead of having a bunch of major leaguers grumpy about the pitch clock you're getting all these minor league players used to it first and then in 3 years when these same players are now up in the majors there's no complaints because they're used to it. It also eases the silly adjustment period that would come with throwing it into MLB right away.

I'm not sure why it seems like this idea hasn't even been brought up yet.

I believe they HAVE had a pitch clock in the minors for a few years already.

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, cyoung said:

It completely changes the game, and the pitcher/hitter match-ups.  Can't do it - it sounds silly, but that's catastrophic for the game.

If people argue a DH would ruin the NL (myself included), this is 100 times worse.

Just thought of another one that I hate. Banning the shift. 100% feels like a change in the game.

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm fine with the proposed changes except for the 3 batter minimum for pitchers, and the talk of banning shifts (though I don't think that's in the proposed changes).

I am against both the DH coming to the NL and the 3 batter minimum. What is the point of a LOOGY now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CYmarlins said:

I am against both the DH coming to the NL and the 3 batter minimum. What is the point of a LOOGY now?

And LTOGY [lefty three out guy] doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.

• Laugh 2

1 minute ago, Michael said:

And LTOGY [lefty three out guy] doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.

Bless you.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Just thought of another one that I hate. Banning the shift. 100% feels like a change in the game.

I can support anything that deals with limiting time between innings, or limiting pitcher warm-up time.  Or limit the length of the mound visit (they may have done that already).

Anything that changes the strategy of the game, I'm completely against.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cyoung said:

I can support anything that deals with limiting time between innings, or limiting pitcher warm-up time.  Or limit the length of the mound visit (they may have done that already).

Anything that changes the strategy of the game, I'm completely against.

Well said. I hate commercial breaks lmao 

• Laugh 1

5 hours ago, CYmarlins said:

Well said. I hate commercial breaks lmao 

The Alliance of American Football [go Apollos, Take Aim] mostly does Picture-in-Picture commercials - would be awesome if MLB did that too between innings.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, cyoung said:

Or limit the length of the mound visit (they may have done that already).

I don't think they have, at least officially. The umps seem to just randomly choose a time to do the slow walk to the mound.

• Like 1