Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Phillies Sign Harper

I'm shocked that there's no opt outs!

That's the "in" thing now and with a deal of that length... that makes no sense really for either side to not include an opt out. It almost makes you think it really wasn't just for the money because he's committing 13 years to one team when NOBODY does that anymore.

On the opt outs, one source says Boras claims Harper didn't want it because he wanted to stay on one team from now on but Rosenthal says there is a chance the Phillies flat out refused to give an opt out because if they were committing so much money they wanted to be sure Bryce wasn't gonna bail on them in a few years...

BOTH of those scenarios sound insane to me.

Of course Harper would love to stay in one city but you never know what can happen to one team within 13 years, you can't 100% say today that he'll be happy with the Phillies a few years from now. The no trade clause is all he needed if he really wants to stay on one team from now on... the opt out doesn't mean he'll leave but it gives him some security just in case.

And the Phillies refusing an opt out??? Have they not seen how many free agent contracts are a disaster down the line? I know he's relatively cheap with the AAV but they have purposely handcuffed themselves in case they need to shuffle things around in the future. 

Again, the opt out may never be needed but I'm shocked that in 2019 it's not at least there as a safety measure for both sides. 

My thoughts exactly, Silver.

I was talking about it with a co-worker and said that exact thing - I hope he likes Philly, because he's stuck there now.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm shocked that there's no opt outs!

That's the "in" thing now and with a deal of that length... that makes no sense really for either side to not include an opt out. It almost makes you think it really wasn't just for the money because he's committing 13 years to one team when NOBODY does that anymore.

It shows Harper and Phillies were more dumb than G and Marlins…

• Like 1