Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Phillies Sign Harper

Just now, taiwanmarlin said:

Never say never.

I just did though!

And now you did as well.

Supposedly, Giants offered 12/310, Dodgers offered huge AAV [in the range of 4/180 so $45M AAV].

The no opt outs was surprising but he asked for that it seems. Stability and guarantee was a huge thing, and yes the $330 was absolutely just to get the most.

So now Kimbrel, Keuchel et al should sign soon, yeah?

Obviously plenty of articles previewing the updated NL East and of course our Marlins are the worst of the bunch. But the more I think about it, those Mets and Nationals have the kind of teams that can implode and crumble all over themselves. Of course the Marlins still suck and would have to overachieve but it wouldn't shock me if we finish higher than either the Mets or Nationals. Just a thought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

On the opt outs, one source says Boras claims Harper didn't want it because he wanted to stay on one team from now on but Rosenthal says there is a chance the Phillies flat out refused to give an opt out because if they were committing so much money they wanted to be sure Bryce wasn't gonna bail on them in a few years...

BOTH of those scenarios sound insane to me.

Of course Harper would love to stay in one city but you never know what can happen to one team within 13 years, you can't 100% say today that he'll be happy with the Phillies a few years from now. The no trade clause is all he needed if he really wants to stay on one team from now on... the opt out doesn't mean he'll leave but it gives him some security just in case.

And the Phillies refusing an opt out??? Have they not seen how many free agent contracts are a disaster down the line? I know he's relatively cheap with the AAV but they have purposely handcuffed themselves in case they need to shuffle things around in the future. 

Again, the opt out may never be needed but I'm shocked that in 2019 it's not at least there as a safety measure for both sides. 

Also No Full Trade clause makes it even harder in case of any future move, I'll give it 6 years for this honeymoon going sour on both ends

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Also No Full Trade clause makes it even harder in case of any future move, I'll give it 6 years for this honeymoon going sour on both ends

If I'm a Phillies fan I'm optimistic because it IS Bryce Harper but I'm also terrified of where this can go in less than a decade from now.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

If I'm a Phillies fan I'm optimistic because it IS Bryce Harper but I'm also terrified of where this can go in less than a decade from now.

that's how I felt when the Giants met with him for a second time

Sounds like Harper knew what he was doing with no opt out... as if he intentionally handcuffed himself to one team. Maybe a way to not allow himself the opportunity to bail if need be? When you think of it that way, it's pretty ballsy. Almost commendable how he's saying I'm sticking with one team no matter how bad it might get. Crazy.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Obviously plenty of articles previewing the updated NL East and of course our Marlins are the worst of the bunch. But the more I think about it, those Mets and Nationals have the kind of teams that can implode and crumble all over themselves. Of course the Marlins still suck and would have to overachieve but it wouldn't shock me if we finish higher than either the Mets or Nationals. Just a thought.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I've not really bought into the Mets "great pitching staff" hype. When looking at that so-called "great" staff, other than deGrom, which one of them has had a consistent career both in performance and health? Synergaard has done well, but hasn't put in the success through a 200-inning season. Both Matz and Wheeler have, at most, half a season of success on their resumes.

As for the Nats, it will be interesting to see how they play without Harper - not that he was much of a difference maker for them.

And I'll question even Philly. Are we really concerned about Harper? See Nats with him

Edited by Pedro (see edit history)

According to contract details obtained by The Associated Press, Harper would earn an extra $50,000 each time he is an All-Star, wins a Gold Glove or a Silver Slugger or is selected League Championship Series MVP. A World Series MVP trophy would be worth an additional $100,000.

He would get $500,000 if he is league MVP, $50,000 for finishing second in the voting and $25,000 for third.

Harper has been an All-Star in six of seven big league seasons and was a unanimous pick for the NL MVP award in 2015, the same year he earned his only Silver Slugger.

In addition, he gets a hotel suite on road trips and the right to purchase a suite for games at Citizens Bank Park.