8/7 Post Game Thread

We survive for a 6th straight!

Cervelli bomb and Villar's RBI double provide it all on offense.

Rag tag team effort by the bullpen after Humberto Mejia's debut (solid, not great).

Phew.

Andy did not look good tonight, no idea what's up with that but hopefully doesn't carry it into tomorrow night.

We struck out way too much. And Villar's AB in the 9th was an abomination to all mankind.

But, hey.

• Like 3

I saw some really positive things to look forward to from Mejia, Honestly. He’s obviously still a fairly raw product, but the stuff is there and I like the composure on the mound. 6 K’s in 2 1/3 innings against a pretty good lineup, not bad. Once he trusts his stuff enough to go after the hitters and not take every one to a 2-2/3-2 count he should be a decent arm for the team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I saw some really positive things to look forward to from Mejia, Honestly. He’s obviously still a fairly raw product, but the stuff is there and I like the composure on the mound. 6 K’s in 2 1/3 innings against a pretty good lineup, not bad. Once he trusts his stuff enough to go after the hitters and not take every one to a 2-2/3-2 count he should be a decent arm for the team.

I imagine the rain all night didn't help him much, so hopefully his next start is a bit more dry.

• Like 2

People won't respect the Marlins due to Jeter or Stanton, but they would respect this team due to the best record in the league. 

The old "culture of losing Marlins " would easily lost this game after the throwing error of Anderson, but the new "culture of winning Marlins " just know how to secure the win. 

• Like 3
  • Banana 1

7 hours ago, Michael said:

We survive for a 6th straight!

Cervelli bomb and Villar's RBI double provide it all on offense.

Rag tag team effort by the bullpen after Humberto Mejia's debut (solid, not great).

Phew.

Andy did not look good tonight, no idea what's up with that but hopefully doesn't carry it into tomorrow night.

We struck out way too much. And Villar's AB in the 9th was an abomination to all mankind.

But, hey.

Eh he was probably due for an off night. He’s been one of the most productive so far this season so I give him a pass. I’m sure he’ll come back out strong tonight.

• Like 1

I have no delusions that the current iteration of the team is championship material (the bullpen has been really lucky, but they’re not necessarily “good”). But if they can just hold it off and play .500 ball until the rest of the players come back (I’m assuming in the next week or two) I think the team would have a legit shot. You have Miggy replacing Forsythe, cooper replacing Joyce, and getting not only Sandy and Caleb back but also half your bullpen. 

speaking of which, am I the only one kinda worried that putting Alfaro in for Cervelli may hurt the team overall right now? He’s calling great games and seems to really coach the pitchers on the mound.

• Like 1

The MLB package allows the viewer to use either the home or away broadcast team. The Met announcers are arguably the finest in the history of the game. Both Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are fantastic analysts and don't pull any punches when giving their opinions. Hernandez had nothing but praise for our kid up from A ball. Some of his remarks as well as I remember them: This kid has a great arm...This kid isn't afraid to attack the hitters...they can't catch up to his high fastball...the kid has a great curve...I love this kid...this kid has a bright future" Personally, I thought that the rain bothered him a little in the second and third innings. Enough wasn't made of that truly fantastic and clutch catch that Alvarez made in the 8th inning. He saved the game. I think the the wet ball slipped out of Anderson's hand for that egregious error.

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I have no delusions that the current iteration of the team is championship material (the bullpen has been really lucky, but they’re not necessarily “good”). But if they can just hold it off and play .500 ball until the rest of the players come back (I’m assuming in the next week or two) I think the team would have a legit shot. You have Miggy replacing Forsythe, cooper replacing Joyce, and getting not only Sandy and Caleb back but also half your bullpen. 

speaking of which, am I the only one kinda worried that putting Alfaro in for Cervelli may hurt the team overall right now? He’s calling great games and seems to really coach the pitchers on the mound.

I've been extremely impressed with Cervelli so far on all aspects of his game.  I also appreciate that he's a bit of a character which is always fun and helps lighten the mood overall and lets dudes just have fun out there.  I was thinking that same thing actually, should Alfaro actually replace him when he's ready to come back?  If I'm The Don, I'd probably keep Francisco as the starter to be honest, barring some cataclysmic dropoff over the next couple of weeks.

6 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I have confidence in Alfaro. I thought he was gonna have a big year before the Coronavirus stuff. 

Just now, FishFan95 said:

I have confidence in Alfaro. I thought he was gonna have a big year before the Coronavirus stuff. 

Also as others have noted, Considering Cervelli's injury history, You might want to limit his starts. I feel like the morale hit alone from losing him to injury would hurt more than replacing him with Alfaro.