Sign in to follow this  
Rydawg

Merandy Gonzalez claimed by Giants

Mish's take on the puzzling losses of both Wittgren and Merandy...

Not sure why they feel the need to make roster space for Grandy in early March though. They had a whole month to look for a trade for Merandy plus they never know who might get injured before opening day. Plus it's not like Grandy was added to the 40 man immediately after losing Merandy. That roster spot is still open so there was no urgency to waive the guy yet.

They signed Grandy to a minor league deal so they wouldn't need to make room on the 40 man so it would make no sense to make room for him in early march.

11 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

They signed Grandy to a minor league deal so they wouldn't need to make room on the 40 man so it would make no sense to make room for him in early march.

Yea but to move him onto the 40 man they would need to clear a spot, I think they're implying that they were making that roster space now... which is insane.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea but to move him onto the 40 man they would need to clear a spot, I think they're implying that they were making that roster space now... which is insane.

Probably making space now to give themselves the option of picking up someone who is waived right away, and if not use it on Grandy.

Maybe Merandy wasn't their type of player too and they just wanted him gone? Didn't samson say sometimes the most mind boggling cuts they did had the chemistry of the clubhouse in mind.

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

Probably making space now to give themselves the option of picking up someone who is waived right away, and if not use it on Grandy.

Maybe Merandy wasn't their type of player too and they just wanted him gone? Didn't samson say sometimes the most mind boggling cuts they did had the chemistry of the clubhouse in mind.

Not necessary to make space ahead of time though. A DFA is immediate, they could have a 40-man spot available the second it is needed.

It is an odd decision unless it is something we don't know about, like you alluded to there.

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Granderson has an opt out if he isn't on the 40 man roster by March 15th. 

Still roughly 10 days early but makes a bit more sense I suppose.

17 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Still roughly 10 days early but makes a bit more sense I suppose.

Yea but even then I wonder if he has to literally be on the 40 man by then because often guys with opt outs are told they're making the team by the deadline but still aren't added to the roster until right before opening day. I remember this recently with another veteran NRI who made the team and the reporters announced that he made the team but still wasn't added to the roster until days later. 

I don't know what to say. I'm one of the two lead writers for Marlin Maniac, and I did not write that article. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, SilverBullet said:

They really said Loria?

But as for Merandy why would he need to go through waivers if he had options? 

I'm one of two main writers on Marlin Maniac. I don't remember this article. Is it very old? I can assure you that I fact check on the articles that I personally write.

I have a lot of pride in my website. I don't like that your experience with it was negative. I will always strive to bring the best coverage I can, but understand that I'm not local to the team, and have no press credentials.