Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Angels think Harper is tampering

This is stupid. One guy publicly stated he would like another guy on his team. That's it. It's not like there's secret contract negotiations going on. 

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This is stupid. One guy publicly stated he would like another guy on his team. That's it. It's not like there's secret contract negotiations going on. 

you member when Haper invited Big G to join him in Washington after Big Gs tweet expressing he was pissed at the Marlins 2012 trade. he can't do shit like that

I think it's stupid.  I'm pretty sure 100% of players in the MLB would say they want Trout on their team.  But because it's Harper, now it's bad.

38 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

you member when Haper invited Big G to join him in Washington after Big Gs tweet expressing he was pissed at the Marlins 2012 trade. he can't do shit like that

Even then, that doesn't sound like tampering. People can talk and say whatever they want. Harper isn't an agent or an owner or general manager, there is no negotiating going on here. Harper is basically just wishing out loud. It's not like this stuff is gonna sway Trout or anyone else.

I mean what's wrong with a guy saying, "we'd love to have this player over here playing with us?"

How is that different than a college saying the same thing to a high school player, assuming that player has multiple offers? Would Nick Saban call it tampering if Ed Orgeron said "we'd love to have you here at our school" when Saban also wants that player? I don't get it, not like Harper was saying "we have a contract laid out for you, sign it tomorrow and we'll have you here in two years." IDK.

It's recruitment, nothing else, that's how I see it, and I see nothing wrong with it - in the end the player signs where they want to sign.

• Like 1

The only tampering possibility that caught my attention in MLB in recent years is when Joe Maddon opted out of his Rays deal and suddenly became the Cubs manager. That one seemed really fishy to me. 

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The only tampering possibility that caught my attention in MLB in recent years is when Joe Maddon opted out of his Rays deal and suddenly became the Cubs manager. That one seemed really fishy to me. 

I still kind of feel like that was just his own choice, but I could be wrong - did the Cubs say they were going to offer him more money to opt out of it? I don't remember.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

I still kind of feel like that was just his own choice, but I could be wrong - did the Cubs say they were going to offer him more money to opt out of it? I don't remember.

Nothing was said publicly but it was fishy because the Cubs still had Renteria under contract so there was no guarantee he would be fired so Maddon gave up his Rays gig for a job that wasn't open... and then it suddenly opened up. That also sucked for Renteria who was clearly getting canned because Maddon was coming over as opposed to for anything he did or didn't do. Ultimately it was the right move in many ways but I remember thinking everything lined up way too nicely for all of that to be a coincidence.