Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Angels think Harper is tampering

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Nothing was said publicly but it was fishy because the Cubs still had Renteria under contract so there was no guarantee he would be fired so Maddon gave up his Rays gig for a job that wasn't open... and then it suddenly opened up. That also sucked for Renteria who was clearly getting canned because Maddon was coming over as opposed to for anything he did or didn't do. Ultimately it was the right move in many ways but I remember thinking everything lined up way too nicely for all of that to be a coincidence. 

Ah, right, that did happen. Heh, you kind of forget about that when Maddon ends up being the manager of the team who broke the longest championship drought. Of course he also was almost the reason it got extended ...

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The only tampering possibility that caught my attention in MLB in recent years is when Joe Maddon opted out of his Rays deal and suddenly became the Cubs manager. That one seemed really fishy to me. 

The best part was the Rays basically telling Joe he could opt out of his contract.....

They were probably over his act at that point... (or wanted to save money)

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Nothing was said publicly but it was fishy because the Cubs still had Renteria under contract so there was no guarantee he would be fired so Maddon gave up his Rays gig for a job that wasn't open... and then it suddenly opened up. That also sucked for Renteria who was clearly getting canned because Maddon was coming over as opposed to for anything he did or didn't do. Ultimately it was the right move in many ways but I remember thinking everything lined up way too nicely for all of that to be a coincidence. 

Renteria kinda got fucked if I recall.  The Cubs were bad but were better than people expected prior to that and literally nothing Renteria did should have gotten him fired, other than it was for Joe Maddon so ya sorry.

Glad Rick got another managerial gig in Chicago.  Deserved it the dirty ass way he was treated.