Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Derek Jeter doesn't care about winning

Posted (edited)

Useful players like Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrel, Denard Span, Adam Jones, Carlos Gonzalez, Evan Gattis and Gio Gonzalez are all still available.

Oh yeah let's spring for Keuchel and Kimbrel. Stupid.

Considering the state of the Marlins, adding all those players still might not make the team a playoff contender, but as Bryce Harper proved, bringing in good players sells tickets.

None of those players is Bryce Harper. People still didn't show up much in 2012 with a brand new ballpark and a few big name free agents signed. 

Some Marlins tickets can be purchased for under $15, which is a good deal for a major-league team. But if you’re buying online, you are subject to paying convenience fees and order fees. On top of that, you may have to pay for transportation, parking and concessions. At a certain point, it becomes far more cost effective to just go see a movie.

Parking aside, and in some cases it's also relevant here, do you not also sometimes have to pay for transportation and concessions at a movie?

Instead, Jeter is admitting the team is going to be awful in 2019

Everyone already knew this. Literally everyone. What do they want him to say? "Yeah maybe if the other four teams in the division all suck ass, we'll be in the playoffs." That'd be the only scenario. lol

And all that was just from the 15 line Yahoo article, I haven't even touched the CBS one yet to this point!

Edit - CBS article was practically the same trash. Do they not know what a rebuild entails? Jeter is wanting fans to have a great experience, yes, but not just for 2019. I feel like these writers are thinking that way. "He wants fans to just enjoy ballpark experience in 2019." Yes, and 2020, and 2021, and so on. Ugh.

I know, I know, it's only because it's the Marlins ...

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
  • Love 1

They all just parrot each other.

the reality is - the team has been bad.  The team will be bad.  People don’t want to support a bad team, so they’re doing what they can to make it appeal to people who do come.  And if those people have a good time, maybe they’ll come back and bring their friends too.

and when the team IS good, they’ll have a great experience already “created”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

They all just parrot each other.

the reality is - the team has been bad.  The team will be bad.  People don’t want to support a bad team, so they’re doing what they can to make it appeal to people who do come.  And if those people have a good time, maybe they’ll come back and bring their friends too.

and when the team IS good, they’ll have a great experience already “created”.

Yeah but Jeter is putting the stadium experience before the on field product because he doesn't care about winning at all. What don't you understand about that?

• Laugh 1

Just imagine how packed it would be if they just signed a guy like Stanton.... 

didnt click the links you guys did a fine job summarizing.  I can’t handle the national opinion on what’s happening here.  I watch all the games.  I interact with local people that are dialed into what’s happening.  That’s all that matters...not yahoo sports editorials 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 6:14 PM, Michael said:

People still didn't show up much in 2012 with a brand new ballpark and a few big name free agents signed. 

Actually the team averaged over 27K in 2012, with a 94-loss team. I should know - I had a 1/4 season ticket in the upper deck. One fire-sale later, and they were under 20K for 2013...

9 hours ago, bmg42 said:

Actually the team averaged over 27K in 2012, with a 94-loss team. I should know - I had a 1/4 season ticket in the upper deck. One fire-sale later, and they were under 20K for 2013...

Was it really 27K a night in 2012, though? Realistically? After a certain point people weren't showing up.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Was it really 27K a night in 2012, though? Realistically? After a certain point people weren't showing up.

The previous regime was also fudging attendance numbers.