Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Derek Jeter doesn't care about winning

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

The previous regime was also fudging attendance numbers.

Maybe so, but I can tell you that at least for the first half of the season people were definitely showing up

1 minute ago, bmg42 said:

Maybe so, but I can tell you that at least for the first half of the season people were definitely showing up

Yeah I am not disagreeing.

Actually, it isn't just Jeter who doesn't care about winning. It's about half the league. And some teams want to win, just not that much. A guy who won the Cy Young Award a few years ago and is only 31 can't get a decent contract. At least a half-dozen teams are actively trying to lose, so that a) they can get better draft picks, b) they can stockpile kids who may some day become the nucleus of a competitive team, and c) save a lot of money. A lot of people think that the Marlins are doing the right thing because this is the system we have. I say the whole system sucks.

But yeah, Jeter doesn't give a crap about whether we win this year, probably next year, and maybe even 2021.

Isn't this what Jeter meant?

Those fans go to a game and enjoy themselves regardless of result, it doesn't mean the team and organization isn't trying to win but it means the mood and atmosphere allows for a great time no matter what happens on the field.

• Like 1

Yes it is what he meant, but it is a line that is easy to sensationalize and I am not surprised at all that the media sensationalized it.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, bmg42 said:

Actually, it isn't just Jeter who doesn't care about winning. It's about half the league. And some teams want to win, just not that much. A guy who won the Cy Young Award a few years ago and is only 31 can't get a decent contract. At least a half-dozen teams are actively trying to lose, so that a) they can get better draft picks, b) they can stockpile kids who may some day become the nucleus of a competitive team, and c) save a lot of money. A lot of people think that the Marlins are doing the right thing because this is the system we have. I say the whole system sucks.

But yeah, Jeter doesn't give a crap about whether we win this year, probably next year, and maybe even 2021.

Well, this I can't disagree with.  Teams saw the "tear it down" approach work with several teams, so now everyone does it.

That said, I don't know if it's completely accurate to say these teams don't care about winning - it's more they realize the reality of the parts they have at that time.  But on the flip side, they don't actively try to make the team better in the short term by plugging in these veterans in the interim.  The Reds interestingly didn't take this approach - they traded for a bunch of guys that are free agents after this year - we'll see how that works out.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Yes it is what he meant, but it is a line that is easy to sensationalize and I am not surprised at all that the media sensationalized it.

I felt that Jeter was a bit insulting when he said that many fans do not even know who is playing.  Not sure he would ever make that remark about the NY fans.  It carries the stereotype that old line cities are knowledgeable and we know nothing, disregarding how big baseball is down here from early on.  That is how it could be taken.

But I did see a movie the other day that sort of brought the opposite point of view.  A father was leaving on a "secret mission" and his young son was sad. Dad tells the kid, "when I come home we'll go to a ball game".  It hit a cord, as a kid, you love your team and players and winning is not all that matters to you.  Just going to the damn game is all that matters.  In this regard, it is so true.  Heck, growing up down here with only spring training, I didn't care who won, just that I took my glove and went with my dad to see the Orioles at Miami Stadium or the Yankees at Lockhart.

3 minutes ago, fish53 said:

I felt that Jeter was a bit insulting when he said that many fans do not even know who is playing.  Not sure he would ever make that remark about the NY fans.  It carries the stereotype that old line cities are knowledgeable and we know nothing, disregarding how big baseball is down here from early on.  That is how it could be taken.

I personally don't think that's what he meant but I can see where that view of it could be taken.