Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Derek Jeter doesn't care about winning

Jeter needs to do a better job of saying things that can't be easily misinterpreted or misreported. I can see why he avoided doing interviews much when he was a player though. 

It is why the media is out to get him a bit now I'm sure. Besides the fact that the Marlins attract negative press (for good reason) Jeter isn't well-liked by the media in general due to him avoiding them back then.

34 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Jeter needs to do a better job of saying things that can't be easily misinterpreted or misreported.

As much as I point out how his stuff gets twisted it's not like he can really avoid that. It's not like he's gonna script his words in interviews and they'll pick apart what he says no matter what, even if it's something well said. He could say he cured cancer and people will say he cares more about cancer patients than winning or something like that. Sadly just purposely doing less interviews probably is the only way to lessen the problem.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

As much as I point out how his stuff gets twisted it's not like he can really avoid that. It's not like he's gonna script his words in interviews and they'll pick apart what he says no matter what, even if it's something well said. He could say he cured cancer and people will say he cares more about cancer patients than winning or something like that. Sadly just purposely doing less interviews probably is the only way to lessen the problem.

I agree they are going to try and spin his words no matter what, but he can make it a little more difficult with practice. He served them up a fastball down the middle this time.

36 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Jeter needs to do a better job of saying things that can't be easily misinterpreted or misreported. I can see why he avoided doing interviews much when he was a player though. 

It is why the media is out to get him a bit now I'm sure. Besides the fact that the Marlins attract negative press (for good reason) Jeter isn't well-liked by the media in general due to him avoiding them back then.

The sad thing is, though, as we've discussed, he could say everything perfectly, but the media outlets want to generate buzz/traffic to their site, so they're going to sensationalize, misquote, ignore context, etc. regardless to get that big inflammatory headline.

That article I mentioned in the other thread regarding Trevor Bauer (link below) also discussed this - that he's purposely started recording EVERY interview whether an official interview, or a casual conversation) in its entirety in order to combat things being taken out of context.

https://theathletic.com/858054/2019/03/11/trevor-bauer-wants-to-increase-mlbs-popularity-and-he-knows-his-reputation-must-improve-if-hes-to-lead-the-charge/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I agree they are going to try and spin his words no matter what, but he can make it a little more difficult with practice. He served them up a fastball down the middle this time.

Oh yeah, when you put it that way it makes sense. Tbh Mike Hill is pretty damn good at this part of his job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Then there'll be an outcry that we never hear from him.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

he sad thing is, though, as we've discussed, he could say everything perfectly, but the media outlets want to generate buzz/traffic to their site, so they're going to sensationalize, misquote, ignore context, etc. regardless to get that big inflammatory headline.

I am aware it'll be spun regardless, but even some Marlins fans read it as an insult and that wasn't due to any spin. He said a line that is too easy to misinterpret. The line @fish53 mentioned is the one I mean.

There are better ways to say the same thing, without the risk of it being read into wrong. Public speakers master this normally. I think he'll get better, it goes back to him avoiding interviews before this.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Then there'll be an outcry that we never hear from him.

Remember when he didn't attend the 2017 Winter Meetings which almost no owners ever attend anyways?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Remember when he didn't attend the 2017 Winter Meetings which almost no owners ever attend anyways?

Well, they haven't exactly been great with PR since they took over.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Well, they haven't exactly been great with PR since they took over.

I'm not exactly defending their blunders either, they've definitely had those. It just sucks when things are purposely twisted when there's clear evidence to not do so. Jeter could say today is March 11, 2019 and some moron will doubt him.