Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Experimental Rule Changes

-What does "assisted" mean - if he's not sure he'll check the thing?  Or it's calling balls and strikes.

-No mound visits seems absurd.

-I think the 3 batters rule seems forced.  What constitutes as "facing" a batter?  Will we see managers have a guy throw a ball to the third guy, then bring in a new guy?  He "faced" a third batter, right?  The guy gets lit up by two batters, and they want to change him.....too bad, gotta face a third guy?  I get wanting to eliminate switching pitchers for every guy, but I just have a hard time with getting on board with the idea of limiting how a manager can run the game.

-Why are we changing the size of the base?  This is literally the first time I've ever heard of this being a consideration, and I fail to see any reason why - at least with the others I see the purpose/what they're going for, but this?  Is it to make more people safe, thus "more action" ??

-Limiting shifts - meh.  This one bothers me less than the pitching thing.

-Between innings - we'll save like 5 minutes  wow.

-Mound moving - I don't know enough about it - but sounds like a big change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

-What does "assisted" mean - if he's not sure he'll check the thing?  Or it's calling balls and strikes.

Probably for borderline stuff, it'll be a quick buzz in their ear for a strike and no noise for a ball [kinda like how it is now - ump makes no motion, it's a ball].

-No mound visits seems absurd.

Agree completely - this is dumb, UNLESS they can do something similar to what they have in the NFL and set up a communication system between manager, pitcher, and catcher, who will have to remain silent unless they use some sort of code or hand signals. But even then ... my thing is, why is it ANYONE who visits the mound? What if the second baseman picks up something in the pitcher's motion that's causing some issue, and just quickly jogs to the mound to say "hey bud, I noticed on curves you tuck in your elbow, just letting you know cause they might see it, too." Now if that happens, gotta take him out of the game? Bad idea.

-I think the 3 batters rule seems forced.  What constitutes as "facing" a batter?  Will we see managers have a guy throw a ball to the third guy, then bring in a new guy?  He "faced" a third batter, right?  The guy gets lit up by two batters, and they want to change him.....too bad, gotta face a third guy?  I get wanting to eliminate switching pitchers for every guy, but I just have a hard time with getting on board with the idea of limiting how a manager can run the game.

This one is OK with me - I'm fine with having to face three batters [unless inning ends or injury, the latter being another potential issue regarding a fake injury but they can work around that via forcing IL time if they are hurt]. I also suggested having the relief pitchers warm up in a bullpen that's behind a dugout / in a batting cage in the clubhouse area instead (pretty sure most parks have an indoor cage in case of weather) so the manager can bring the reliever with him instead of having to wait for them to run in from the bullpen.

As for your question - I believe it has to be through completion of the plate appearance - so really, if you get a lefty-righty-righty-lefty situation, you could theoretically have your lefty come in, face the first batter, intentionally walk the next two if need be, and face the fourth hitter. Therefore he's "faced" four batters now (going beyond the requirement) and you got the guys out that you wanted. Of course that is also a huge risk as you're putting on two baserunners, but ... TBD. I get your displeasure with that idea though.

-Why are we changing the size of the base?  This is literally the first time I've ever heard of this being a consideration, and I fail to see any reason why - at least with the others I see the purpose/what they're going for, but this?  Is it to make more people safe, thus "more action" ??

This would absolutely make people safe more often, especially in stealing bases. Probably not a HUGE amount but certainly will be a decent amount that it's quantifiable. I was thinking this would make sense to occur only at first base, give them that double-bag similar to slow-pitch softball leagues so the runner can aim for the outer bag and not worry about colliding at first. But increasing base sizes - even if it is just an inch and a half each direction [15 inches to 18 inches, so inch and a half per side] - that's going to be slightly increased leads, leading to easier steals ... it's now 89 feet and 9 inches between bases with this assuming they leave the center of the base where it is [which they couldn't for first or third due to the foul lines ... so actually it gets even closer! 89'6"].

-Limiting shifts - meh.  This one bothers me less than the pitching thing.

Partial shift ban, yeah. "Can not have more than two infielders on the same side of second base before the pitch" - it's whatever.

-Between innings - we'll save like 5 minutes  wow.

Eh. What's 20 seconds, really? lol

-Mound moving - I don't know enough about it - but sounds like a big change.

I'm glad you saved this for last, because it's the most important.

FAR AND AWAY this will have the LARGEST impact of all the changes. You might be surprised how much of a difference two feet can make for a batter. If you've ever watched Little League Baseball on ESPN, the mound being 46 feet away, they compare the speeds there to that of MLB by how much time a batter has to react. A 75 MPH fastball in Little League is akin to upper 90s, maybe even 100+ MPH by an MLB pitcher from a reaction time standpoint. Pitcher stats will take an absolute nose-dive if they implement that ruling, league-wide averages on offense will be completely bonkers [a .400 batting average will be much more easy to obtain, and the top hitters would get that year in and year out]. Lower the mound or raise the strike zone, don't move the mound back. 60'6" is sacred, just like 90' between bases.

A couple of thoughts:

1. To the best of my knowledge,the Atlantic League has nothing to do with Major League Baseball, which means Major League Baseball doesn't have anything to do with these rule changes.

2. If Major League Baseball goes anywhere near these rule changes, get Rob Manfred for the fuck out of there!

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

A couple of thoughts:

1. To the best of my knowledge,the Atlantic League has nothing to do with Major League Baseball, which means Major League Baseball doesn't have anything to do with these rule changes.

2. If Major League Baseball goes anywhere near these rule changes, get Rob Manfred for the fuck out of there!

• Sad 1

1 out of 7 that are good.

2 out of 7 if you count the min batter rule which I'm in the I dont give a fuck about.

I dont even know what the fucking point is.  

They range from pointless to egregious. What is this obsession with shortening games? For gods sake it’ll save a couple of minutes but it’s still gonna be a somewhere in the ball park of 3 hours like pretty much every sport. No one fucking complains about the 12 minute halftime break in football. Next thing thing you’re gonna see is them throwing around mercy rules or reducing the amount of innings. Ugh leave this shit alone.

• Like 1