Starling Marte Acquired, Villar, Smith & Mejia Traded, Diaz Opts In

SonOfJack

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So... um... nobody wants to say it out loud but... was today yet more evidence that Mike Hill is actually a competent GM/Pres of baseball operations when left to actually do his job? 

Yes. He's doing a really good job. As someone who lived through all the Loria/David Samson years. I can honestly say today was one of the better trade deadlines in Marlins history for sure. 😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So... um... nobody wants to say it out loud but... was today yet more evidence that Mike Hill is actually a competent GM/Pres of baseball operations when left to actually do his job? 

It has become evident that Loria/Samson were pulling the strings before (or Jeter is now, but that makes much less sense).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I mean, it makes sense for Villar since his new team will be playing us tomorrow at home.  Mejia makes less sense, as he was traded to Arizona, but I guess he'd have to go home and get things before going there?  Not sure how that normally works.

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

I like how the defense of Villar was that his offense and defense sucked, but he stole bases. He also got caught stealing 5 times. 9/14 is not very good at stealing. He has had no patience and no power, and he made way more defensive mistakes than I expected.

The Marlins also have Berti, Alvarez, and Isan Diaz to play second base. They got a decent prospect for a guy who played a position where they have some depth, and the guy also wasn't panning out and was going to be a free agent after the year, anyway.

I think it's a solid move.

I liked Caleb more than most here. But at the end of the day, he was 29, so he wasn't likely to show huge improvement. He gave up 33 home runs last year, and while the strikeouts were great, the 3.5 walks per 9 innings were not so hot.

Since Marte is under contract for 2021 at a very reasonable price, I think that's a great trade.

To be fair, but not take away from your point - one of those caught stealing was that BS one against the Mets where McNeil blocked him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 97marlin said:

So I get the name Connine is a thing. And Yeah I am with that. BUT Griffon is literally just another high upside super low floor talent bat. 

I AM SICK OF ACQUIRING THIS ARCHETYPE!!@!@!$%^%@!$@#!@#

I was cool with it last year, but It is so sad to watch some of these rookies have terrible at bat after terrible at bat. It is really really really hard to hit well in the majors down 0-2 every at bat.

I hope this is all just a response to the lack of minor league season, and COVID, but UGH it is so frustrating. The org loves these prospects, and it is well documented. It just feels more and more like the bet is a long shot, not a large scale parlay, but it is frustrating. I wish we could accumulate high floor prospects.

It can definitely be frustrating when these guys aren't hitting, but you gotta remember this is the Yankees way. They go after all sorts of big power, high upside guys, and some turn into Greg Bird (not much) and some turn into Luke Voit (thunder boy).

Look it at it another way: Would you rather have 10 lottery tickets that are guaranteed to make $2 each, or 10 lottery tickets that have a 50% of being with $2 and a 10% chance to be worth $100? On average, those second tickets are worth $11 each, even though there's a very real likelihood the first 5 you open are all worth $0.

• Like 2

Atkins : Mike, we have the son of Vladimir Guerrero, the son of Craig Biggio, the son of Dante Bichette and the son of Jeff Conine, which one do you want ?

Hill : I want the son of Jeff.

Atkins : Are you sure !? the other three were much better than him now. 

Hill : As the GM of the Marlins, of course I choose the son of the Mr. Marlin !!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Atkins : Mike, we have the son of Vladimir Guerrero, the son of Craig Biggio, the son of Dante Bichette and the son of Jeff Conine, which one do you want ?

Hill : As the GM of the Marlins, of course I choose the son of the Mr. Marlin !!!

Hill : Just out of curiosity. What would it take to get the son of Dante Bichette as well?

Atkins : Well, Mike, throw in Sixto, Berti and that Trevor Rogers guy you have pitching and maybe we got a deal.

Hill : Have a nice day. Bye.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

I like how the defense of Villar was that his offense and defense sucked, but he stole bases. He also got caught stealing 5 times. 9/14 is not very good at stealing. He has had no patience and no power, and he made way more defensive mistakes than I expected.

The Marlins also have Berti, Alvarez, and Isan Diaz to play second base. They got a decent prospect for a guy who played a position where they have some depth, and the guy also wasn't panning out and was going to be a free agent after the year, anyway.

I think it's a solid move.

I liked Caleb more than most here. But at the end of the day, he was 29, so he wasn't likely to show huge improvement. He gave up 33 home runs last year, and while the strikeouts were great, the 3.5 walks per 9 innings were not so hot.

Since Marte is under contract for 2021 at a very reasonable price, I think that's a great trade.

agree with all of this.   liked Caleb a lot and I'll miss him much more than Villar.  Getting Villar seemed promising but I hated the outfield idea and guy was just oddly frustrating to watch.  The potential of moving him at the trade deadline made sense and here we are.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yes but like you said, I didn't want to be the one to mention it lol.

• Haha 1
  • Banana 1

9 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I mean the sons of Vlad, Craig and Dante were never actually on the table to actually be traded, especially for a pissant like Villar.  But ya.  lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hotcorner said:

agree with all of this.   liked Caleb a lot and I'll miss him much more than Villar.  Getting Villar seemed promising but I hated the outfield idea and guy was just oddly frustrating to watch.  The potential of moving him at the trade deadline made sense and here we are.

I mean he would have gotten more for Caleb last year, but at least was able to get good value for him.

Mike Hill suprisingly didnt do anything entirely retarded this trade deadline.  Or with the return he got.  I mean for Villar a guy like Griffin Conine is the type of lotto ticket you want to take on honestly.  If he can learn to make consistent contact and not strike out 1 of every 3 at bats basically (which is a very high ratio in A ball), the Marlins might get a consistent MLB bat.  His power is no question. His defense is at worse league average, will be a matter of can you get some more consistent contact from Mr. Conine.  But it was for Jonathan Villar so fuck it.  Not like you gave up a top player/prospect to get this essential lotto ticket.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Gotta love how ESPN’s weekly power rankings called acquiring Marte and trading away Villar a “push”.

Geez.

Also this morning on local sports radio... "The Heat won... and that's all for sports!"

No mention of the Marlins defeating the great Jacob deGrom and adding the best available bat at the trade deadline while holding a playoff spot with just 30 games to go. An amazing day for the Marlins gets ZERO news coverage? I know this team has done A LOT to screw over the fan base but that doesn't mean the media should purposely ignore them in their reports. They're still a professional sports team here.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.