Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Opening Day Roster Predictions

11 hours ago, Michael said:

It's an opt out however, is it not? As in, player can choose to stay if he wants if he's not on the 25 man roster? Perhaps he feels like he can be good in a leadership role here even if not in the Majors, albeit that'd suck on his end.

Yes it's an opt out, which gives me a chuckle when I remember that Chen doesn't have opt outs, he has opt INS, meaning he has to literally confirm to the team that he is staying. I read that once and most people don't realize that and it just makes me laugh when you think about how preposterous that is. 

11 days to go and they really have a lot of tough decisions to make. Essentially no one who had a realistic chance for a spot has sucked. The rotation has 7 guys playing great... there's a group of non roster position players who have had solid springs... this is not your typical last week and a half of camp. Very curious to see what they do. 

Ironically, a couple of the guys who have sucked (Granderson and Herrera) are likely going to make the team.

2 minutes ago, LHPMarlin said:

Ironically, a couple of the guys who have sucked (Granderson and Herrera) are likely going to make the team.

Granderson yeah, I am not so sure about Herrera.

1 hour ago, LHPMarlin said:

Granderson doesn't have to prove anything except health. His chances on the team have zero to do with spring training numbers, rightfully so. A guy like that just uses spring training to get his timing and routine back, not for proving himself. 

Herrera is a little different case though because he's a defense first versatile utility player. Not hitting well in spring means nothing. Is he still playing good defense? That's what they'll look at because he's not here for his bat. I think people overlook the role of backup CF, and there are only two candidates for that spot: Herrera and Guerrero. One of those two will make the team because they need a backup CF regardless of how they hit. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

there are only two candidates for that spot: Herrera and Guerrero. One of those two will make the team because they need a backup CF regardless of how they hit. 

Right and I am getting the sense Guerrero has a leg up.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Right and I am getting the sense Guerrero has a leg up.

I agree because while I said the hitting isn't the deciding factor it sure does help. With that said, don't forget Herrera is on the 40 man roster while Guerrero isn't. Sometimes that's the real deciding factor sadly. 

Just read that Herrera is out of options... I'm telling you guys, Herrera is most likely making this team.

Also, Harold Ramirez and Pedro Alvarez have out clauses that can be exercised soon. 

• Sad 1

I hope we don't lose Harold Ramirez.... Huge potential, only 24 years.