Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

A few MLB changes coming Thursday

This is going to be a disaster.

2019 changes are fine, but 2020 are a problem.

The only one that really matters is the three batter minimum, but that's huge.  I really hope something happens to get this to go away.

If anybody has evidence of Manfred going into questionable massage parlors, now we be the time....

I am glad they didn't announce the universal DH at least. Though it still seems inevitable sadly.

• Like 2

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Why are they only changing the rules on Thursdays? Are the rules the same on every other day?

Stay tuned I guess.

The roster rules are fine...

The Derby bonus is probably gonna do nothing except bring out the people who are gonna complain that some millionaires are now competing for an extra million, which is an understandable criticism. And I doubt that million is gonna really sway any of the players to enter if they weren't big on it to begin with. A million isn't that much for most of the guys who would enter anyways. And the guys that MLB really wants to enter the Derby more (like Trout and Harper) are definitely not gonna care about a million dollars.

The three batter minimum is ridiculous and I expect it to eventually go away.

The ASG Election Day is kinda cool, it could be fun and might actually make voting results more fair (more changes like this are welcome because they create interest but don't change the game)

I don't understand the purpose of one trade deadline... at first it'll create more trades but then when enough "teams that went for it" realize they shouldn't have then it'll create the opposite effect and soon we'll have a trade deadline where almost nobody makes a move. Kinda like this year's offseason, people expecting all this action and instead we got a bunch of teams scared to commit to anything.

The number of position players pitching could see a significant decrease as well. Under the agreement, players will be designated as position players or pitchers -- with the exception of those who throw 20-plus innings and start 20 games in the field or at DH, who will be two-way players. Position players will be allowed to pitch only in extra innings or when their team is ahead or behind by more than seven runs.

What's up with this? Why are they bothering with this? How often are position players pitching anyways?

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I am glad they didn't announce the universal DH at least. Though it still seems inevitable sadly.

I'm ok with it at this point.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The roster rules are fine...

The Derby bonus is probably gonna do nothing except bring out the people who are gonna complain that some millionaires are now competing for an extra million, which is an understandable criticism. And I doubt that million is gonna really sway any of the players to enter if they weren't big on it to begin with. A million isn't that much for most of the guys who would enter anyways. And the guys that MLB really wants to enter the Derby more (like Trout and Harper) are definitely not gonna care about a million dollars.

The three batter minimum is ridiculous and I expect it to eventually go away.

The ASG Election Day is kinda cool, it could be fun and might actually make voting results more fair (more changes like this are welcome because they create interest but don't change the game)

I don't understand the purpose of one trade deadline... at first it'll create more trades but then when enough "teams that went for it" realize they shouldn't have then it'll create the opposite effect and soon we'll have a trade deadline where almost nobody makes a move. Kinda like this year's offseason, people expecting all this action and instead we got a bunch of teams scared to commit to anything.

Yeah, I don't get the 3 batter minimum, and I'm sure we'll see changes to that sooner than later.

the only thing I see as a problem with the election day - so a guy could be in the lead for months, and then doesn't get in because more people wind up voting for another guy on that day?  Although if on that election day, all fans get a single vote (rather than the 25 they can now), I'd agree it'd be more fair.

I'm surprised that with the creation of a single deadline that they didn't push it back to halfway between the two dates.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

What's up with this? Why are they bothering with this? How often are position players pitching anyways?

Yeah, that seemed like a very odd addition.

I think it must be to avoid what happened last year - it may have been the Rays, but I'm not sure - I think they had a pitcher in, they wanted to use him for another batter later in the order, they put the pitcher in the outfield for a batter or two, I think they brought in another pitcher for a batter or two, and then put the original pitcher back in.