Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

A few MLB changes coming Thursday

Seems like a dick move by Manfred to impose that new rule on the league when they are “actively” working towards agreements on the economics. 

5 hours ago, DTrain said:

What if your relief pitcher tears a labrum after 1 batter?  How do they prove then and there that his labrum is torn and it’s a legit injury. 

What if

what if

I'm sure they're going to force injured list time if the player leaves for injury.

6 hours ago, canada-marlin24 said:

The three batter minimum makes no sense. So say its a 1 run lead in the 9th inning with 2 outs, you can't bring in a lefty to face a lefty?

Exceptions:

- Ends an inning / game

- Injury to pitcher

- I have to imagine rain delays will be added into this if the delay is more than 30 minutes, at least

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The number of position players pitching could see a significant decrease as well. Under the agreement, players will be designated as position players or pitchers -- with the exception of those who throw 20-plus innings and start 20 games in the field or at DH, who will be two-way players. Position players will be allowed to pitch only in extra innings or when their team is ahead or behind by more than seven runs.

So if a position player who is not designated as a pitcher comes in with a 7 run lead and gives up a homer to the first batter would they be required to pull him or would that violate the 3 batter minimum rule?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

So if a position player who is not designated as a pitcher comes in with a 7 run lead and gives up a homer to the first batter would they be required to pull him or would that violate the 3 batter minimum rule?

I want this to happen now.

• Like 2

MLB.com cites this example of why the 3 batter rule is happening...

Here's how the eighth inning ended up playing out, in full.

1) Minaya allows Pujols to single.

Renteria signals for a reliever. Two minutes and five seconds pass before the next pitch.

2) Jace Fry enters to relieve Minaya. He throws six pitches, striking out Shohei Ohtani.

Renteria signals for a reliever. Three minutes and 27 seconds pass before the next pitch.

3) Jeanmar Gomez enters to relieve Fry. He throws two pitches, getting Ian Kinsler to pop out.

Renteria signals for a reliever. Four minutes and 10 seconds pass before the next pitch, in part because the Angels had sent lefty Luis Valbuena to hit for Martin Maldonado, then replaced Valbuena with righty Jefry Marte after the White Sox stalled to buy time to change pitchers.

4) Luis Avilan enters to relieve Gomez. He throws eight pitches, striking out Marte to end the inning and his night, since Joakim Soria enters for the ninth inning.

"It's empty-the-bench Monday for the Angels and White Sox in the series opener," said White Sox announcer Jason Benetti as Avilan entered. All told, the half-inning took 17 minutes and 24 seconds from Minaya's first pitch to Avilan's final one. That breaks down into "7:02 of baseball time and 10:22 of not-baseball time," with the latter including 6:14 for mid-inning commercials, 2:13 waiting for relievers to finish warmups after returning from break, and 1:55 for Renteria to walk to the mound three times

I get that... that's too much in one half inning. But I think the 3 batter minimum is trying to prevent the above scenario but will create other stupid problems. Maybe they've already considered this but isn't there a better alternative to the 3 batter minimum that can still stop this above nonsense? Is setting a maximum number of pitching changes per half inning a better way to go? "A team can only make two pitching changes per half inning... then further changes per inning can only happen after the last pitcher gives up X runs or faces X batters? The last part would protect against the meltdown of the final pitcher of the inning, in which case the team would be allowed to finally do a third change? Something like that maybe? It would cut down on pitching changes but also not force teams to stick with struggling relievers out there forever because of the 3 batter rule? Doing it this way also would add more strategy I think.

And underwear must be changed every inning and worn on the outside so it can be checked.

One more thing about creating more offense... I'd imagine that most fans who are actually watching because they care about their team winning or losing actually want less offense, not more. I'm perfectly happy watching my team score a few runs and then shut down the opposing team's lineup the rest of the way. Watching a 12-10 slugfest more often sounds like a nightmare (in multiple ways) and creates way more chances to lose than to win. This "creating more offense" idea is for idiots who are more interested in the entertainment of the game than the result of the game. Yes a baseball game is entertainment but I get the most entertainment from my team winning than from seeing a bunch of runs scored.