Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Chen moved to bullpen

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You're absolutely right but the answer to your last question is "because Mattingly doesn't understand or believe or notice that Chen is that bad" and that may actually be a problem worse than Chen sucking so bad. 

Surprised Mattingly didn't rally behind Chen for an All-Star spot

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

It's one thing to keep a guy like this on the roster because of his contract. That comes from the higher ups (Hill, Jeter, whatever). Putting him into games we're losing by 1 or 2 runs? That's on Mattingly, and that's giving up the game. I know people roll their eyes at things like this, but imagine being a young Marlin player fighting your hardest to win the few games your team is going to win, then seeing the worst pitcher in baseball come in to pitch in a game you're down 3-1. 3-1 is a game you can still win. Why put in a guy who is almost guaranteed to make that deficit larger?

There is no reason to just not eat the remainder of his contract and DFA him.  No one wants one the biggest busts in franchise history on their team so they aren’t going to recoup that salary. Just cut your losses now and let more young kids play than waste innings on this guy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lakeshow00 said:

There is no reason to just not eat the remainder of his contract and DFA him.  No one wants one the biggest busts in franchise history on their team so they aren’t going to recoup that salary. Just cut your losses now and let more young kids play than waste innings on this guy. 

That's what I don't get. Whether or not he's pitching for the Marlins, the Marlins have to pay him. So it looks like there are two choices:

 

1. Pay him and have him keep harming the team's chances of winning.

2. Pay him and release him, thereby eliminating his negative effects on the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

2. Pay him and release him, thereby eliminating his negative effects on the team.

Especially when they've said they're trying to build a winning mentality and poor play won't be tolerated.

Granted ... I know just about anyone would be an upgrade, but who would be the best option to call up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Michael said:

Especially when they've said they're trying to build a winning mentality and poor play won't be tolerated.

Granted ... I know just about anyone would be an upgrade, but who would be the best option to call up?

Wouldn't even need be someone on the 40-man since releasing Chen would open a spot, sooooooo:

 

R.J. Alvarez

Robert Dugger

Joe Gunkel

Kyle Keller

Mike Kickham

Jeff Kinley

Jordan Milbrath

Brian Moran

and

Hector Noesi

 

These are all guys who have been throwing for Triple-A New Orleans and are non-prospects so having them come up for mop-up duty (what Chen's role should be) isn't going to be an issue in any regard related to stunting a career or anything. Also, almost 100% chance that any of these guys would outperform Chen with their opposite arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Mike Kickham

Can we have Kickham and Brigham up together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Michael said:

Can we have Kickham and Brigham up together?

No. Jeff will bring the ham, then Mike will kick it so Jeff will have to go get it again and bring it back then Mike will just kick the ham again only to make Jeff have to retrieve it once again and upon the return of the ham, Mike will just kick it for a third time. We'd need to also call up Arisberto Keepham from Single-A to make it all make sense, and he's not ready for the big leagues. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Wouldn't even need be someone on the 40-man since releasing Chen would open a spot, sooooooo:

 

R.J. Alvarez

Robert Dugger

Joe Gunkel

Kyle Keller

Mike Kickham

Jeff Kinley

Jordan Milbrath

Brian Moran

and

Hector Noesi

 

These are all guys who have been throwing for Triple-A New Orleans and are non-prospects so having them come up for mop-up duty (what Chen's role should be) isn't going to be an issue in any regard related to stunting a career or anything. Also, almost 100% chance that any of these guys would outperform Chen with their opposite arm.

There are a few guys at single A that you forgot to mention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...