2020/21 off-season

38 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

so, in other words the whole "100 million dollar payroll" was likely bs....as usual since it's been throw out there for previous seasons too. 

On a personal note though, I do feel like BA is inconsistent for long stretches of time and will get super hot for a week or so and then be cold again for long stretches so i'm not entirely opposed to the idea of letting him play another year before making any offer.  Yeah, he could light it up with a .900+ops or something and make the move from above average to star player but he could also "regress" to a sub .800ops or even stay at about .800. 

I think Kim is looking at long term extensions based on the potential of the player, as does the player himself, and not necessarily the results so far.  Anderson would argue that he's clearly getting better each year and is ready to make the leap to all-star level based on his projections but Kim could easily counter that with, well, you've only really put in two full seasons so she wants a better idea if he's really able to make that next step or if he's ultimately a good .750-800ish OPS dude who plays great defense.

NOT discounting how good of a player BA already is, I just think that's kind of her logic here?  All of that said, even if BA does exceed expectations and makes another leap forward  this season, I don't think they'll let him sign elsewhere and I fully expect them to get him signed to an extension. 

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

so, in other words the whole "100 million dollar payroll" was likely bs....as usual since it's been throw out there for previous seasons too.

Not necessarily. An Anderson extension would very likely be backloaded, and his 2021 salary wouldn't have suddenly pushed us to $100M.

Arbitration players also, and who knows who we sign? Especially if we go after bullpen arms.

37 minutes ago, Michael said:

Not necessarily. An Anderson extension would very likely be backloaded, and his 2021 salary wouldn't have suddenly pushed us to $100M.

Arbitration players also, and who knows who we sign? Especially if we go after bullpen arms.

wasn't saying that his new salary would push us to the brink of 100mil at all.  it was more tongue-in-cheek since that same report seems to resurface almost every offseason. I think we all thought that a BA extension would certainly be a part of that though. 

I'm still fine with them waiting for another full year out out of BA to see if he can continue getting better or if he kinda just hangs out around the .800 or regresses a bit

9 minutes ago, hovertical said:

wasn't saying that his new salary would push us to the brink of 100mil at all.  it was more tongue-in-cheek since that same report seems to resurface almost every offseason. I think we all thought that a BA extension would certainly be a part of that though. 

I'm still fine with them waiting for another full year out out of BA to see if he can continue getting better or if he kinda just hangs out around the .800 or regresses a bit

I'm with it on this one.

Frisaro likes to just throw that number out there. Lol

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

On a personal note though, I do feel like BA is inconsistent for long stretches of time and will get super hot for a week or so and then be cold again for long stretches so i'm not entirely opposed to the idea of letting him play another year before making any offer.  Yeah, he could light it up with a .900+ops or something and make the move from above average to star player but he could also "regress" to a sub .800ops or even stay at about .800. 

I think Kim is looking at long term extensions based on the potential of the player, as does the player himself, and not necessarily the results so far.  Anderson would argue that he's clearly getting better each year and is ready to make the leap to all-star level based on his projections but Kim could easily counter that with, well, you've only really put in two full seasons so she wants a better idea if he's really able to make that next step or if he's ultimately a good .750-800ish OPS dude who plays great defense.

NOT discounting how good of a player BA already is, I just think that's kind of her logic here?  All of that said, even if BA does exceed expectations and makes another leap forward  this season, I don't think they'll let him sign elsewhere and I fully expect them to get him signed to an extension. 

Covid revenue hits (both the little gate revenue we have and the lack of revenue sharing) for 2020 also are a factor - it's quite possible that they could've pushed to 100M, but after covid, I never saw that as a real possibility.

The question with Anderson for me though is - we've seen improvement each year - do you sign him to a team-friendly deal now before he (hopefully) breaks out, or do you wind up having to pay more later because you didn't extend him soon enough/before the breakout.  I've advocated for the former, because even if he doesn't break out beyond what he's been doing, he's still been a solid player, even with the inconsistency you mentioned - his numbers seem to "be there" (and going up) at the end of the year all together.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Covid revenue hits (both the little gate revenue we have and the lack of revenue sharing) for 2020 also are a factor - it's quite possible that they could've pushed to 100M, but after covid, I never saw that as a real possibility.

The question with Anderson for me though is - we've seen improvement each year - do you sign him to a team-friendly deal now before he (hopefully) breaks out, or do you wind up having to pay more later because you didn't extend him soon enough/before the breakout.  I've advocated for the former, because even if he doesn't break out beyond what he's been doing, he's still been a solid player, even with the inconsistency you mentioned - his numbers seem to "be there" (and going up) at the end of the year all together.

Good point about Covid revenue loss — perhaps it hurt the Marlins less than most other teams 😜

#hiddenbenefits

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Saying we've seen improvement each year is a bit misleading as there are really only 2 full seasons to look at.  The shortened 2020 season was not an improvement over 2019 so he may have plateaued.  It feels like he's been starting for us for 4-5 years but he's only played full time in 2018 and 2019 and it's not like he's posted something insane like a .950+ops. He's just been a solid, above average dude.  So i think they want to see if he can fix some of the holes in his game and make the next step and become a regular all-star type guy or if his peak is going to be around what we saw in 2019 and this season.  Both are very useful to any club but with their payroll flexibility i think they just want to avoid overpaying for an above average regular.  I feel confident they'd be totally ok with paying a bit more in the long run if he turns that corner and they sign him after the 2021 season.