2020/21 off-season

taiwanmarlin

7 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Wallach Is what he is at this point, he’s a backup catcher that didn’t hit in the minors either (I see a Matt Treanor ceiling there). Alfaro was a bat-first guy in the minors so that tool should revert back closer to what we saw in 2018/2019. And on the defensive side Alfaro is much better than Wallach as far as pop time and arm strength (top 10 in pop time and top 3 in arm strength) which when the robot umps come will be MUCH more important than pitch framing (which had Wallach slightly better than Alfaro but still only in the 16th percentile so he was actually pretty bad too)

last year was also a very hard year to judge him on because I feel like the staff just lost their rhythm when they switched to a new receiver (especially with Pablo) The comfort/trust wasn’t there and he wasn’t vocal like Cervelli. But I think with another offseason of getting familiarized with the staff and working on his receiving he’ll be fine.

I just think we don’t gain anything from having Wallach as a starter delaying any possible progress from Jorge. Either get a better catcher that can help Jorge progress, or let him get at it and get him back to the 2+ war catcher he was and more than likely still is.

Pitching performance is what's at stake here to.  That's a lot to gain and a lot to lose.  I'm not saying Wallach is the pitching whisperer, but there are more tangibles in play besides the obvious pop and framing.  

This is why I like Molina.  He gets the most out of the pitching.  Alfaro doesn't examine situations, he just plays catch without being instinctual. 

You make good points though. I agree with you, especially if the Marlins are looking to give Alfaro a clean slate. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Pitching performance is what's at stake here to.  That's a lot to gain and a lot to lose.  I'm not saying Wallach is the pitching whisperer, but there are more tangibles in play besides the obvious pop and framing.  

This is why I like Molina.  He gets the most out of the pitching.  Alfaro doesn't examine situations, he just plays catch without being instinctual. 

You make good points though. I agree with you, especially if the Marlins are looking to give Alfaro a clean slate. 

Shit, if Molina’s in play send him over! Lol

And yeah I agree with you too, I’m not overly impressed by Alfaro at all I just think there is more benefit in trying to get as much as possible out of Alfaro than Wallach. His overall ceiling is just so much higher! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Michael said:

He very clearly has a stronger arm (that and pop time are pretty connected so it's really just one category)

Yeah kind of like Mac and cheese is one dish but it’s comprised of cheese sauce and macaroni noodles lol 

I mentioned the arm strength part specifically just to illustrate that it’s the main contributing factor to his pop time. Which to me is the most important ingredient cause since he has that, he can increase the footwork aspect of it pretty quickly over an offseason and really put himself into that elite poptime category. I mean as is he’s only averaging 5/100ths of a second slower than JT so he’s still really good in that regard. 

Edited by marlinsmaniac

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Shit, if Molina’s in play send him over! Lol

And yeah I agree with you too, I’m not overly impressed by Alfaro at all I just think there is more benefit in trying to get as much as possible out of Alfaro than Wallach. His overall ceiling is just so much higher! 

I'm sure the Marlins feel the same. He has shown glimpses of it.  He just needs to do the little things well and let everything else fall into place. 

Preseason should be telling.  Like you said he should be extra motivated. 

• Like 1

7 strong landing spots for Kyle Schwarber (mlb.com)

Marlins
While Miami made its first postseason since 2003 this year, there is little question that the club needs to improve if it’s going to reach October again. The Marlins took fewer left-handed plate appearances than all but two MLB teams in 2020 and tied for last with 12 lefty homers. Schwarber would change that dynamic, but it just so happens that the only lefty clearly ticketed for a starting job in 2021 is left fielder Corey Dickerson. That makes this less of an ideal fit, but Miami still could find a way to make it work. Obviously, that job gets much easier if the universal DH is in play.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If the DH happens in 2021, do we take a flyer?

Edited by CyggyMarlin

2 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Marlins
While Miami made its first postseason since 2003 this year, there is little question that the club needs to improve if it’s going to reach October again. The Marlins took fewer left-handed plate appearances than all but two MLB teams in 2020 and tied for last with 12 lefty homers. Schwarber would change that dynamic, but it just so happens that the only lefty clearly ticketed for a starting job in 2021 is left fielder Corey Dickerson. That makes this less of an ideal fit, but Miami still could find a way to make it work. Obviously, that job gets much easier if the universal DH is in play.

I say yes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Marlins

No because we already have Aguilar for that spot. 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

No because we already have Aguilar for that spot. 

I heard Aguilar once boasted that he could play shortstop. I'm sure it was just tongue in cheek, but he had a couple spot starts at 3B and played 1B the majority of the 2018-19.  I only mentioned shortstop and 3B not as an option but to indicate his versatility to play 1B full time.  Last year we had 18 consecutive games, so it appeared that he needed the DH when it's not necessarily true.  It was more case in point to the shortened season with no days off. 

I personally don't care for Schwarber, although he could fill the DH role nicely.  If Alfaro isn't the catcher,  It would push him out of getting any ABs which could be just a waste of time anyways. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

3 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I heard Aguilar once boasted that he could play shortstop. I'm sure it was just tongue in cheek, but he had a couple spot starts at 3B and played 1B the majority of the 2018-19.  I only mentioned shortstop and 3B not as an option but to indicate his versatility to play 1B full time.  Last year we had 18 consecutive games, so it appeared that he needed the DH when it's not necessarily true.  It was more case in point to the shortened season with no days off. 

I personally don't care for Schwarber, although he could fill the DH role nicely.  If Alfaro isn't the catcher,  It would push him out of getting any ABs which could be just a waste of time anyways. 

Schwarber's not catching ever again, I imagine, if that's what you were implying. He's actually not bad in the outfield, I'm not sure why people are against him fielding so much.

As for Aguilar - his glove is quite solid. He just doesn't have range. Heh

@Michael

Aguilar's range isn't even that bad.

Last three seasons at first base:

2018: 0.8 UZR/1.1 UZR/150

2019: 0.4 UZR/0.1 UZR/150

2020: 0.2 UZR/0.7 UZR/150

While no one is going to confuse him for Don Mattingly, he is definitely not a liability over there. About league average.

1 hour ago, Valid said:

@Michael

While no one is going to confuse him for Don Mattingly, he is definitely not a liability over there. About league average.

Is 0.0 UZR considered league average? (Genuine ask here)

1 hour ago, Valid said:

@Michael

I guess you could say this is a...

Valid argument.

• Haha 2
  • Banana 1

32 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yes. And UZR/150 is prorated to a full season, so you can compare guys (like Coop and Aguilar) who had unequal playing time.

Because of its volatility, though, it's best to look at 3-year chunks of time (400 games or so).

I dig it. Appreciate it, P-RB 💙

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Schwarber's not catching ever again, I imagine, if that's what you were implying. He's actually not bad in the outfield, I'm not sure why people are against him fielding so much.

As for Aguilar - his glove is quite solid. He just doesn't have range. Heh

No to Schwarber catching.  I said he would take Alfaro's ABs  if Alfaro wasn't catching.