2020/21 off-season

taiwanmarlin

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Has he signed somewhere else?

The reason I mention this old tweet from Craig is because it's really rare to see a rumor like this, Craig said "he feels like something later that could get done ", so maybe it would never get done after long time passed. 

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

The reason I mention this old tweet from Craig is because it's really rare to see a rumor like this, Craig said "he feels like something later that could get done ", so maybe it would never get done after long time passed. 

It is still something later.

15 hours ago, cyoung said:

Loria basically did the only thing out of that list that doesn't translate to wins - he gave out silly contracts at times. 

For giggles and all, I went back to look at some of the biggest free agent contracts in recent years. There's a lot of clunkers or merely "okay" deals that get signed in the top end. I would be very wary of joining that club (again) anytime soon.

Here are my seat-of-the-pants very basic emoticon reactions to how I think the teams feel about these various signings:

image.png.4abbfe80489a380badd554c7c55742dc.png

image.png.9726bab85b05586b709a519e12654472.png

image.png.ca3a1c66b69af4671ae1a87d3faefc94.png

All told, I think it'd be generous to say half of the $50M+ contracts in those seasons turned out somewhere between disappointing and bad. Really seems like only the Yankees and Dodgers knew how to make their dollars work.

15 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

For giggles and all, I went back to look at some of the biggest free agent contracts in recent years. There's a lot of clunkers or merely "okay" deals that get signed in the top end. I would be very wary of joining that club (again) anytime soon.

Here are my seat-of-the-pants very basic emoticon reactions to how I think the teams feel about these various signings:

image.png.4abbfe80489a380badd554c7c55742dc.png

image.png.9726bab85b05586b709a519e12654472.png

image.png.ca3a1c66b69af4671ae1a87d3faefc94.png

All told, I think it'd be generous to say half of the $50M+ contracts in those seasons turned out somewhere between disappointing and bad. Really seems like only the Yankees and Dodgers knew how to make their dollars work.

Get out of here with these facts. The Marlins need to sign someone NOW or get new owners! 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

The mets just got Lindor. So how many more years into the rebuild before we start competing with the Braves Nationals  and mets ? At least the Phillies are sort of going the opposite direction. 

I'm unclear on how we're not "competing" with the Mets.  It doesn't really matter who they sign, history shows until they do otherwise, they're a 3rd-5th place team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Check all the Marlins moves after I get up in the every single day …

computer-crying.gif

Alright. How about this?

Take a week off from checking anything baseball related (at least as it pertains to MLB stuff).

De-stress, friend.

We worry about you. ❤️ 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

It's not about checking on your favorite team's news and rumors, that's normal. It's having unrealistic expectations. @taiwanmarlinis like someone who keeps checking his fish tank every day expecting the fish to learn how to ride a bicycle and then getting upset when they don't.

Lazy ass fish just aren't trying hard enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

It's not about checking on your favorite team's news and rumors, that's normal. It's having unrealistic expectations. @taiwanmarlinis like someone who keeps checking his fish tank every day expecting the fish to learn how to ride a bicycle and then getting upset when they don't.

I don't think it's a unrealistic expectation for this team to sign a proven closer like Hand, Hendriks and Yates, just spend some money to secure your wins.

Tbh nobody wants to hear this but the Marlins don't have to add much this offseason besides a few complimentary parts. This team is still building itself up but it's not like they're a piece or two away from perennial contention. They still could go into 2021 evaluating the pieces they have and then look to make a more serious move going into 2022. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Tbh nobody wants to hear this but the Marlins don't have to add much this offseason besides a few complimentary parts. This team is still building itself up but it's not like they're a piece or two away from perennial contention. They still could go into 2021 evaluating the pieces they have and then look to make a more serious move going into 2022. 

I certainly didn't want to hear this

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah, just don't expect this team to make it to the playoffs or have a winning season in the 2021, because it's just the fourth year in this current rebuilding and the success in the 2020 is just something unexpected. 

• Like 1