On 9/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, Michael said:

I'm only going to keep saying this:

Besides Luis Robert, find me a top prospect bat who has debuted this year and done well.

Triston Mckenzie.  

On 9/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, marlins_09 said:

Great point. Even the premium level prospects like Lux & Adell have struggled in their debuts 

Lux debuted last year and struggled, but still a fair point in general.

23 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Who cares about roids? They are breaking unwritten rules! How can anyone play them when they might feel uncomfortable pitching to them with a 3-0 count?

ya but its ok to keep trying to score runs when you are down big in a game, but oh heaven fucking forbid the team up big continue to try to score runs!

the fucking horror!  

forcing tatis to apologize was the stupidest and most cringeful thing i've seen all season.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

well, expanded postseason is likely to stay. This is huge for teams like the Marlins who constantly struggle to make the postseason. Not sure if it will be this exact same format, but I love the idea. Unfortunately, Manfred is considering keeping that garbage extra inning rule. That’s the only rule I absolutely hate. I can live with pretty much anything else, even the weird 7 inning doubleheaders. 

• Like 2
Just now, Italian Marlins Fan said:

I can live with pretty much anything else, even the weird 7 inning doubleheaders. 

While Manfred probably likes those, I'd think those don't stay because they don't have to. Those came to alleviate innings for pitchers because so many teams had so many double headers within so many days with little to no days off... in a full 162 game season that isn't an issue. The number of double headers a team plays is probably super low in a full season, I'd imagine there are even teams who don't get any in a season.

If the offense overall was more consistent / packed more punch, you could live with Alfaro in the line-up and not have to overspend on JT (plus have to spend even more money if getting another bat on top of that).... 

1 hour ago, CyggyMarlin said:

If the offense overall was more consistent / packed more punch, you could live with Alfaro in the line-up and not have to overspend on JT (plus have to spend even more money if getting another bat on top of that).... 

Honestly it's the leadership aspect I'm missing from JT more than his bat. Alfaro doesn't calm down his pitchers when they're flustered or struggling, just squats back down behind the plate. Cervelli was the opposite, he'd go out there and tell his dude what's what.

I miss Cervelli.

• Like 2

How about we trade Corey Dickerson for best available player we can get for him, any position, but preferably catcher or good quality relief pitcher.

Then we move BA to LF full time and sign Marte for another year for CF and Brinson plays RF full time.

Then the Marlins sign DJ LeMahieu to play 3B.

Then we have an IF of:

DJ - 3B

Rojas - SS

Jazz - 2B

Aguilar/Coop -1B

or..

Rojas - 3B

Jazz - SS

DJ - 2B

Aguilar/Coop - 1B

I know most of you won’t agree with what I wrote, but for the sake of fun/discussion, what do you guys think?

😂

Edited by SirFishFan

A year ago, coming off two horrible seasons, with the World Series champions coming from our division, with the Braves still excellent, with the Mets and Phillies always going for it, and with almost none of our top prospects having debuted or actually proven themselves yet... the Marlins did quite a bit to try and upgrade their major league team and start transitioning to more wins. Even then, they couldn't have realistically imagined we'd be seriously competing for a playoff spot.

Now this offseason we'll be coming off a season where this team has shown the ability to win, the fight to win over "better" teams, the resiliency to overcome tough losses and other obstacles, the top prospects are delivering, the manager is able to lead a winning team, the hype about having organizational depth is actually true, etc etc... 

My point is, what I'm trying to say is (arm side run)... if they made all those improvements a year ago to those awful teams then you have to think they'll be very active this winter making sure that we can maintain this upward trend going into 2021.

• Like 2

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but since the doubleheaders came up, I'll say that I like them. I think the 7 inning games once in a while are exciting, and they make watching 2 games in one night reasonable.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but since the doubleheaders came up, I'll say that I like them. I think the 7 inning games once in a while are exciting, and they make watching 2 games in one night reasonable.

From a viewing perspective I can agree with that... but here's a hot take that's crossed my mind many times lately... is a 60 game season actually better than 162? I think there are many positives that have been realized out of having this shorter season. With certain tweaks I could see A LOT of fans loving this style of a season more than the long 6 month crawl that we normally get. It will never happen for many reasons but I'm just saying, has anyone else thought of this or is it just me?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

From a viewing perspective I can agree with that... but here's a hot take that's crossed my mind many times lately... is a 60 game season actually better than 162? I think there are many positives that have been realized out of having this shorter season. With certain tweaks I could see A LOT of fans loving this style of a season more than the long 6 month crawl that we normally get. It will never happen for many reasons but I'm just saying, has anyone else thought of this or is it just me?

Hadn't really thought about it, to be honest.

BUT, I'll say that the relative success of this shorter season does give traction to those shorter season proposals we've heard about the last few years.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Hadn't really thought about it, to be honest.

BUT, I'll say that the relative success of this shorter season does give traction to those shorter season proposals we've heard about the last few years.

I wonder about, say, 120 games + 16 playoff teams + all 7-game series. Or maybe 5 games in the first round and 7 after that. Shorter season, more playoff games. Could be fun.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mystikol87 said:

I wonder about, say, 120 games + 16 playoff teams + all 7-game series. Or maybe 5 games in the first round and 7 after that. Shorter season, more playoff games. Could be fun.

Only thing is, owners won't want to give up revenue from the additional 42 in season games, and they won't want to pay players for fewer games.

• Like 2