2020/21 off-season

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Reading this makes me realize there will be a time, hopefully soon, when the Marlins are contending and teams like the Cubs and Red Sox will be rebuilding.

mind blowing wow GIF by EnBW

Marlins made the playoffs

Cubs having a firesale

Red Sox suck currently

WE'RE THERE, HOMEY.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Am I the only one whose brain hurts reading that first sentence?

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Given the rumored demands for him, I don't think we need him that badly.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If he means they can't afford Contreras we have a problem. If he means they have a set amount of money that they want to spend on the 2021 payroll and that Contreras would be an issue relative to that then that's a different story because many teams have "little financial room" when it comes to 2021.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

If he means they can't afford Contreras we have a problem. If he means they have a set amount of money that they want to spend on the 2021 payroll and that Contreras would be an issue relative to that then that's a different story because many teams have "little financial room" when it comes to 2021.

After 2020, I'm going to try and give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.....hopefully.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2021 at 1:34 PM, SilverBullet said:

A few weeks ago someone on here said it's too bad the Marlins operate more like the Rays than the big market teams.

What you have to do is pick a lane. That was the problem with how Loria ran the team. They would have a fire sale and start a rebuild, and then not even 2 years in, start adding pieces and trading prospects when the team performs slightly better than expected. You either stay the course or go big. Half assing it is not an option.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

What you have to do is pick a lane. That was the problem with how Loria ran the team. They would have a fire sale and start a rebuild, and then not even 2 years in, start adding pieces and trading prospects when the team performs slightly better than expected. You either stay the course or go big. Half assing it is not an option.

Exactly this. I’m sure at this point the FO has a pretty good idea on who the core of our farm system is, and a handful of prospects that they would be willing to deal. Whether due to being disappointed in their development, culture fit, or an under the radar guy being just as good. 

It’s about maximizing the return on those prospects not just for this year but also the next 2/3 years as well. 

This is the rays mold to a tee. The rays aren’t afraid to trade prospects at all. Heck, we have Jesus Sanchez in our system now. It’s that they evaluate their system as good as anyone, and each year there’s a guy or two they’re willing to part with. They are usually right 

Edited by marlins_09
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

You think?

Of course.  They are under no discretion  to spend.  It's a free capital.  The narrative has been instilled mainly because of Loria. He dismantled the Expos and nearly did the same in Florida. Do you believe that the Marlins needed to be moved to Miami?  I don't, the attendance numbers are relatively the same.  Profits don't come overnight, and it will sustain itself overtime like an investment. At least that's what I believe. 

Mainly through history teams who have been under the narrative of financial responsibilities have never spent to get out of the restriction poverty.  Look at A's and the Angels. One team spends and the other team doesn't and they both play in the same state.  

I'm not advocating what is the right way to build a team because you can win or lose either way    

22 hours ago, Michael said:

"We need to see what kind of pitcher he is."

Yams then pitches 260 innings giving up 12 runs, all unearned.

Then loses the Cy Young to our lord and savior, Zac Gallen.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Of course.  They are under no discretion  to spend.  It's a free capital.  The narrative has been instilled mainly because of Loria. He dismantled the Expos and nearly did the same in Florida. Do you believe that the Marlins needed to be moved to Miami?  I don't, the attendance numbers are relatively the same.  Profits don't come overnight, and it will sustain itself overtime like an investment. At least that's what I believe. 

Mainly through history teams who have been under the narrative of financial responsibilities have never spent to get out of the restriction poverty.  Look at A's and the Angels. One team spends and the other team doesn't and they both play in the same state.  

I'm not advocating what is the right way to build a team because you can win or lose either way    

Interesting take. So then this is almost PR to help keep the payroll low and in turn keep them more lucrative? Or are you saying this is same outside narrative that has always been built around the team?

Not questioning - just interested in your opinion.