2020/21 off-season

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Hmm ... all things considered, that's not a bad group. If we want to keep Pop and Campbell, gotta keep them in the bigs all year obviously, so first one to be removed is ... probably Hoyt, at this rate. I don't think we're bringing back Kintzler now. lol

Yeah exactly, I figured that Hoyt would be the odd man out there. Maybe trade him for a hard-throwing Low minors player with future backend of the bullpen potential.

As for Campbell/Pop, Campbell would have to stay up for sure cause he was rule 5. But didn’t we trade for Pop? Was he someone that was a rule 5 pick then got traded or am I right in believing he doesn’t have that limitation placed on him? 

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

That's eight relief pitchers already, so unless they have to go with a nine men pen (which is highly impossible ) then one or two of those eight relievers need to go if more RP would be added to the team, and with the new extra innings rules you really need a closer that would always "strikeout the side". 

Yeah of course, I meant it as add more and replace what we have (probably Hoyt since we can sell high on a solid season). But given the eventual innings limit and youth in the staff, having 9 dudes in the bullpen isn’t a bad idea. Detwiler can step into that emergency starter/long man role and go with an extra BP arm.

though now that creates the decision of who is the odd man out as far as position players go

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah exactly, I figured that Hoyt would be the odd man out there. Maybe trade him for a hard-throwing Low minors player with future backend of the bullpen potential.

As for Campbell/Pop, Campbell would have to stay up for sure cause he was rule 5. But didn’t we trade for Pop? Was he someone that was a rule 5 pick then got traded or am I right in believing he doesn’t have that limitation placed on him? 

Pop was still a Rule 5 pick so yes, despite the fact we got him in a trade, the rule still applies to him.

25 minutes ago, Erick said:

I liked Hoyt last year, no real reason to get rid of him.

Shit, if I could be guaranteed he’d be even half the pitcher he was last season I’d be all for it too. But he had the largest discrepancy between ERA and FIP on the current staff so I feel like he’s the most likely due for a sizable regression. But you’re right, I’m not dying to get rid of him either, but if we could get a genuine closer then it’s a different story 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Ahh gotcha, thanks for clearing that up

I guess right now it comes down to, do they want a third lefty in the pen? I'd say yes personally, but obviously those choices aren't up to me.

55 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ah poopy.

Worth it ? I think can't blame Marlins to not sign him because even the richest Mutts didn't go for that price, now left only Colome and Rosenthal. 

Edited by taiwanmarlin
  • Like 3
47 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ah poopy.

It's fine Marlins got Ng as a GM doing Reagan speeches - easily worth two Brad Hands.

The way I see it...The Fish are two or three deceased president speeches away from a world series and a ring.

Edited by Major-Minor
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Ah poopy.

Much rather put that $10M toward an impact bat than a closer given the current make up of the team. A closer won’t have any leads to protect if we don’t score runs. Now go out and sign Rosario and trade for Contreras!

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 3
  • Banana 1
27 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Much rather put that $10M toward an impact bat than a closer given the current make up of the team. A closer won’t have any leads to protect if we don’t score runs. Now go out and sign Rosario and trade for Contreras!

Contreras yes. And def. hate spending on relief pitchers.

Not sold on Rosario but he fits the traditional Marlins mold with FEAST or FAMINE gaming. I can see him coming to town.

...and then there is Benintendi and Santander. Not really sure there either...like the idea of it...but their respective fan base are so bipolar on them...that is really worrisome.

What I think will REALLY happen:

They will sign someone like Jon Jay or Kevin Pillar to a one year deal and act like it was a steal. Next, they will make some really cool JPEG of our new try-me-out player standing really tough with his name written in caliente red and the hashtag "justgettingstarted" or something like that. By Friday we will have 4 or 5 packages made by amateurs...which the Marlins will ask permission to use and they will turn them into GIFS ...slap on some more flashy colors... and maybe add a spoiler and spinners and flames on the side so it's really fast...post it nonstop on instagram and twitter...because that is free.

Then I will have to sweat it out and hope this player is as valuable as Dickerson or Aguilar...while I also stress out about an aging Dickerson and Aguilar...

Here comes a Marlins, Player...the circle of life.

• Haha 2
  • Banana 1
1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

Not sold on Rosario but he fits the traditional Marlins mold with FEAST or FAMINE gaming. I can see him coming to town.

...and then there is Benintendi and Santander. Not really sure there either...like the idea of it...but their respective fan base are so bipolar on them...that is really worrisome.

What I think will REALLY happen:

They will sign someone like Jon Jay or Kevin Pillar to a one year deal and act like it was a steal. Next, they will make some really cool JPEG of our new try-me-out player standing really tough with his name written in caliente red and the hashtag "justgettingstarted" or something like that. By Friday we will have 4 or 5 packages made by amateurs...which the Marlins will ask permission to use and they will turn them into GIFS ...slap on some more flashy colors... and maybe add a spoiler and spinners and flames on the side so it's really fast...post it nonstop on instagram and twitter...because that is free.

Then I will have to sweat it out and hope this player is as valuable as Dickerson or Aguilar...while I also stress out about an aging Dickerson and Aguilar...

Here comes a Marlins, Player...the circle of life.

This year's slogan is

#letskeepitgoing

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

On the contrary, you can say you won't be have enough leads without a proven closer to protect the leads. Of course it's the best to have the BOTH, but …

Edited by taiwanmarlin
10 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

They will sign someone like Jon Jay or Kevin Pillar to a one year deal and act like it was a steal.

I agree Eddie isn’t perfect but we need someone who you can hit the ball out with some regularity (which is why I also wouldn’t mind a Puig/Cespedes signing). Cause we can’t always rely on stringing 5 hits together. Sometimes you need the bloop and the blast to get you back in the game and I feel the team is lacking big time in the power dept after cooper and to a lesser degree, BA.

(also, I mean lacking in the “enough bat control and plate discipline to turn that raw power into production” power department. Cause Alfaro and Jazz have big boy power but they still struggle too much with contact to put up the big power numbers . And Aguilar has a lot of power but I feel like he sacrificed that power in order to make more contact so he’s not the hitter he was in 2018 for the brewers anymore.)

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

On the contrary, you can say you won't be have enough leads without a proven closer to protect the leads. Of course it's the best to have the BOTH, but …

Put it to you this way. A good offense will take you into the 9th with a 4 run lead and make it so you don’t need a closer at all. Just a solid bullpen with anyone not named Yamamoto, Dugger, or Conley to finish it out. Where as a lights-out closer on a team that scores 2 runs a game might help you not blow some of those rare leads, sure, but he only effects the games the team is ALREADY winning (they need offense to create those leads for him). And you can’t put the pressure on your starters where they need to be absolutely perfect. So first and foremost you have to see how your team can improve the most, and I believe it’s in solidifying the bullpen overall (which I feel they did a good job with) and bolstering what was surely a bottom 5 offense in most categories. In other words, we lost quite a few games last year where the pitching was great and the offense couldn’t put 2-4 runs on the board despite a lot of chances. So I’ll take the extra bat or two for this particular team since that’s what they need. Cause Yeah, I’d love to have both a good offense and lights-out closer, but if this particular team can only have one, I think the offense needs the attention.

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't know why people always wish for a lights out closer... considering we play most of our games at night, I prefer a closer who can pitch with the lights on.

I know right? It makes no sense.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't know why people always wish for a lights out closer... considering we play most of our games at night, I prefer a closer who can pitch with the lights on.

It means he’s so good that he strikes everyone out and ends the game quickly so they can turn the lights out in the stadium and go home. I’m embarrassed for you for not knowing that 

• Haha 1