6 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Sexy Love It GIF by The Lonely Island

I’ll give an even better idea..

Imagine the Marlins depth chart for Catcher next season being:

Catchers-

1. JT Realmuto

2. Jorge Alfaro

3. Fransisco Cervelli.

Hahahahaha, probably won’t happen exactly like that, but still a fun thought. 😂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SirFishFan said:

Even more bizarre if then after being traded back, Alfaro goes .320/28 HR/95 RBI. 😂

Good to know you're not the only one that feels like he's going to have at least one stupidly good season in his career.  He certainly has the power and can hit some balls awfully damn hard WHEN he makes contact.  I also feel like it wouldn't be fair to keep him on here as a backup if JT was signed as he's better than a backup catcher.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Good to know you're not the only one that feels like he's going to have at least one stupidly good season in his career.  He certainly has the power and can hit some balls awfully damn hard WHEN he makes contact.  I also feel like it wouldn't be fair to keep him on here as a backup if JT was signed as he's better than a backup catcher.

Yes, that’s true.

Even though it’s a fun thought of having JT and Alfaro on the same roster. I know that most likely if JT resigns with the Marlins, Alfaro would probably be traded. And it probably would be a good idea if the Marlins can maybe get a quality bullpen arm in return and Alfaro can find somewhere to get some regular playing time in his prime.

• Like 1

Why this team needs to spend big this off-season ?

a. Needs to show fans they're really serious to win when the opportunity is coming. 

b. With the money of the new TV deal, they have the resources to outbid all the evil teams, just like the DBACKS to sign Greinke after they ink the new TV deal in the 2015.

https://amp-awfulannouncing-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.awfulannouncing.com/2015/diamondbacks-signing-of-zack-greinke-shows-benefits-of-massive-new-tv-deal.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16008371804608&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=來源:%1%24s

7 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Why this team needs to spend big this off-season ?

a. Needs to show fans they're really serious to win when the opportunity is coming. 

b. With the money of the new TV deal, they have the resources to outbid all the evil teams, just like the DBACKS to sign Greinke after they ink the new TV deal in the 2015.

https://amp-awfulannouncing-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.awfulannouncing.com/2015/diamondbacks-signing-of-zack-greinke-shows-benefits-of-massive-new-tv-deal.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16008371804608&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=來源:%1%24s

I don't like nor understand how you still think "spending big" and "outbidding all the evil teams" is the way the Marlins should be doing things. If anything the Marlins have proven this season that that's not the way to build this team. Yes spending some in free agency to plug in holes at the MLB level is important but that's not the same as throwing every penny you have at the top of the free agent list.

You even referenced the DBacks signing Greinke... how did that work out for them?

• Like 1
  • Banana 1
3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't like nor understand how you still think "spending big" and "outbidding all the evil teams" is the way the Marlins should be doing things. If anything the Marlins have proven this season that that's not the way to build this team. Yes spending some in free agency to plug in holes at the MLB level is important but that's not the same as throwing every penny you have at the top of the free agent list.

You even referenced the DBacks signing Greinke... how did that work out for them?

@SonOfJack, do you think we should go all-in to sign JT, a catcher that would make our amazing rotation better ?

Just now, taiwanmarlin said:

@SonOfJack, do you think we should go all-in to sign JT, a catcher that would make our amazing rotation better ?

He's gonna tell you that we should check in and go for it if it's at a price that won't handcuff our team for the future like Greinke's contract did to the DBacks. "All in" shouldn't be the plan.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

He's gonna tell you that we should check in and go for it if it's at a price that won't handcuff our team for the future like Greinke's contract did to the DBacks. "All in" shouldn't be the plan.

Well yeah, I should clarify. I meant go for a full real effort, not a fake one when I say all in. I don't want to see an unrealistic small attempt. I want a real market value fair proposal.

I don't mean spend whatever it takes @taiwanmarlin

• Like 2

The only problem with JT is this - while I'd absolutely love to have him back, as an amazing catcher, someone's going to back up the Brinks truck for him, and I just don't think we'll be able to compete with the offers out there.

They should've given him a real offer before he left, not the "we can say we tried" lowball offer they gave.

----

I'm also hesitant to count on a massive infusion of TV money like we've been counting on - we've not heard anything about it (not that we necessarily would), and we're negotiating at perhaps one of the worst times.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't know anything but I'd imagine the TV deal becomes some temporary placeholder for 2021 while they extend negotiations further down. The pandemic came at the worst time for the tv deal negotiations.

I suppose that's a possibility, as long as the TV folks are even willing to do that.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I suppose that's a possibility, as long as the TV folks are even willing to do that.

If the TV people aren't willing to extend negotiations then they better not hold the pandemic against the Marlins. 

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only problem with JT is this - while I'd absolutely love to have him back, as an amazing catcher, someone's going to back up the Brinks truck for him, and I just don't think we'll be able to compete with the offers out there.

They should've given him a real offer before he left, not the "we can say we tried" lowball offer they gave.

----

I'm also hesitant to count on a massive infusion of TV money like we've been counting on - we've not heard anything about it (not that we necessarily would), and we're negotiating at perhaps one of the worst times.

I think the Marlins absolutely could afford an above-market contact for Realmuto. The problem is that he is going to sign a market-breaking contract, and the one team to offer something stupid is ultimately going to be the winner.

I love JT. He's clearly in a class of his own right now. But catchers are in the most injury-prone position in the sport. The wear-and-tear will eventually move him to first base, and while he's a good enough hitter to play first, $35M per year for a decent first baseman isn't the foundation upon which championships are built.

2 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

and while he's a good enough hitter to play first, $35M per year for a decent first baseman isn't the foundation upon which championships are built.

He may want 35 mil per a year but do you think he'll get that? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I think the Marlins absolutely could afford an above-market contact for Realmuto. The problem is that he is going to sign a market-breaking contract, and the one team to offer something stupid is ultimately going to be the winner.

I love JT. He's clearly in a class of his own right now. But catchers are in the most injury-prone position in the sport. The wear-and-tear will eventually move him to first base, and while he's a good enough hitter to play first, $35M per year for a decent first baseman isn't the foundation upon which championships are built.

Yeah, that's my point - someone's backing up the Brinks truck to him and going to pay him a monster deal that we can't compete with.