2020/21 off-season

taiwanmarlin

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Bautista wasn't even 2013-2017 Yelich level before 2010, that was just some bonkers stuff with JB. Then he became super arrogant. Lol.

Maybe more Justin Turner. Idk. Solid enough but once big change with a new team and suddenly goes off.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about JB after I posted it. 

Maybe David Ortiz would have been a better comparison?

Justin Turner to me didn’t reach MVP status like Yelich though.  Maybe DJ LeMahieu?  

4 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about JB after I posted it. 

Maybe David Ortiz would have been a better comparison?

Justin Turner to me didn’t reach MVP status like Yelich though.  Maybe DJ LeMahieu?  

DJ was always a pretty good hitter. Got more notice after he went to NYY.

Ortiz is ... maybe a decent one here. He started hitting once he went to Boston. Was OK with Minnesota and the power was always there (look up the story of the home run derby when he was in Seattle's system, then going by David Arias).

Matt Kemp maybe?

Anywho. 😁 Monte is going 30/30 this year.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Michael said:

Monte is going 30/30 this year.

30 Strikeouts/30 At Bats?

Just kidding. We love you, Monte!

I’m predicting that Monte will be tearing up in AA/AAA (I don’t know which he would be) and be called up in June.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

The fan base on this board has been pretty tolerant to the overwhelming and alarming rate of bad trade returns we have had.  Its most admirable to be honest.  

Hmmm... Say what you will about the Yelich trade, but the Strange-Gordan, Stanton, Ozuna, and Michael King trades were all winners in my book. I guess we can feel disgruntled about the Gallen trade (praise be), but I'm still really excited about Jazz, the player (the music? eh). If Jazz hits even his median projected value (a strong defensive SS with occasional big-league pop), then it makes it a win in my book because of the dearth of such players (and the relative wealth of pitching prospects at the time and presently).

I think last I saw on that MLB Trade Values site, Stanton was worth -$100M or something crazy like that. Getting anything of value for him was downright robbery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

30 Strikeouts/30 At Bats?

Just kidding. We love you, Monte!

I’m predicting that Monte will be tearing up in AA/AAA (I don’t know which he would be) and be called up in June.

I say Monte is back in the bigs before June. Just a hunch. 😁

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Christian Yelich was very vocal about wanting out of Miami... he was not an MVP caliber player at the time... other teams did not have much interest in him... the Brewers proposed what was the best return at the time... the return was praised at the time considering Yelich was not an MVP yet... the return included multiple Top 100 prospects at the time of the deal... on the day the trade happened the Marlins were praised for getting multiple top prospects for a "good but not great" disgruntled player who other teams weren't very interested in. 

Did it work out for the Marlins? It did not. 

Some trades work out and some don't. 

Stop doing the whole "I told you so" bullshit over the Yelich trade because nobody "told you so" at the time. 

And with all of that said, Harrison Diaz and Brinson still have time to be solid contributors to the Marlins for many years, we only just DFAd the fourth man in a four person return. How many multiple player deals have guys who never even make it to the majors? Stop acting like the DFA and trade of Jordan Yamamoto is the final straw in the judgment of the Christian Yelich trade, as if Yamamoto was the only remaining hope from that deal. 

I don't believe anyone feels that Yams was the last straw...im 2 for 2 for the failed sarcasm this week.

I think most people thought it was a risk to trade Yelich, who was universally liked on this forum and praised for his talent by teams throughout mlb. And it is hard to pick a moment...but id say the fan base then started holding their collective breath when Brinson started batting .199...which bled fear into the other trades...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Hmmm... Say what you will about the Yelich trade, but the Strange-Gordan, Stanton, Ozuna, and Michael King trades were all winners in my book. I guess we can feel disgruntled about the Gallen trade (praise be), but I'm still really excited about Jazz, the player (the music? eh). If Jazz hits even his median projected value (a strong defensive SS with occasional big-league pop), then it makes it a win in my book because of the dearth of such players (and the relative wealth of pitching prospects at the time and presently).

I think last I saw on that MLB Trade Values site, Stanton was worth -$100M or something crazy like that. Getting anything of value for him was downright robbery.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

I say Monte is back in the bigs before June. Just a hunch. 😁

I would be ecstatic if Jazz and Monte became contributing every day starters. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I was fine with the trade.  However  I wasn’t ok with the trade just to trade a player who is disgruntled.  That kinda backfired.   I also didn’t like the trade in terms of who we received, not because of the return but because the Marlins are obsessed with “5 tool prospects”  and IMO there is no such thing. 

Yelich, before the trade had solid stats that never projected to peek drastically.  He just had a consistent flatline 2nd in the order production about him. Who could have imagined he would have gone all Barry Bonds.  The closest player to do that in recent memory was Jose Bautista.

The fan base on this board has been pretty tolerant to the overwhelming and alarming rate of bad trade returns we have had.  Its most admirable to be honest.  

We have also gotten some pretty damn good returns (e.g. the Realmuto trade was fantastic).

Like @SilverBullet said: the Yelich trade was pretty universally praised at the time, and not a single soul here expected Yelich to suddenly post a 1.000 OPS the following year (and I am someone who has always seen big-time potential in Yelich). I guarantee not a single soul in the Brewers organization did, either.

Yelich not only stagnated at the plate in his final season here, but he also declined rather significantly in the field, going from a Gold Glove-caliber outfielder to an average defender, at best.

It was pretty clear that Yelich didn't want to be here anymore, and chances are, he would not have even come close to posting the types of numbers he did in Milwaukee had we kept him. We almost certainly would have had to trade him away at some point.

The Marlins are also far from the only team that talks about five-tool prospects. You hear that from pretty much every organization. Even the Yankees, arguably the best organization in baseball, talk about the importance of five-tool guys.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Opening Day right fielder. Harold traded for a reliever.

That would be sad..

I know it might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I would put a healthy Harold in right field any day over Monte (and twice on Sunday - doubleheader).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

That would be sad..

I know it might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I would put a healthy Harold in right field any day over Monte (and twice on Sunday - doubleheader).

No, shouldn't be an unpopular opinion - right now my thought is that the spot is Harold's to lose provided he stays healthy. If he's at 100% he needs to be out there consistently.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

That would be sad..

Agreed based upon stats.  The counter-argument is that Monte needs playing time to sink or swim.

Ok, sounds like most posters are satisfied with the trades BUUUUUT I have a bit of a problem trading away prospects that have produced  right after they where traded.  The timing has been really bad IMO.  Anderson, Gill, Paddok, and Yelich.  Letting them develop at least one more year would have netted us a much bigger return?  It’s just unfortunate timing.  Kinda of the same with Hand, Castillo, and Andrew Miller.  The timing has been off. 

I like some of the trades, I think Jazz will have a breakout season.  

• Like 1

I LOVE this diagnosis:

And I would add to that: If you don't think 2020 was fluke, then there needs to be an agreement that the pieces are already in place for a possible repeat (or improvement, depending on the bullpen and prospect improvements). So if yer gonna get your drawers in bind about the offseason, then you have to submit that 2020 wasn't a fluke.

Maybe I'm more of a doubter than I realize about 2020, but I'm perfectly fine with the patient, prospect-focused approach this offseason.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I LOVE this diagnosis:

And I would add to that: If you don't think 2020 was fluke, then there needs to be an agreement that the pieces are already in place for a possible repeat (or improvement, depending on the bullpen and prospect improvements). So if yer gonna get your drawers in bind about the offseason, then you have to submit that 2020 wasn't a fluke.

Maybe I'm more of a doubter than I realize about 2020, but I'm perfectly fine with the patient, prospect-focused approach this offseason.

Danny's the best, been trying to get him here ... lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

Blatant disrespect? That's rather strong. She deserves time to get to know the roster.

She definitely could have phrased it better.  Not a fan of hers but we'll see.  

I would love more evidence of Brian having a problem with what she said. Even if it has truth behind it that doesn't suddenly mean that BA is disgruntled and wouldn't sign an extension so gotta take all of this with a grain of salt. Did she say anything wrong? Not at all. Could she have worded it differently? Possibly. With that said, it was clear what she meant and if BA and his camp had a problem with what she said then maybe they need thicker skin. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Ok, sounds like most posters are satisfied with the trades BUUUUUT I have a bit of a problem trading away prospects that have produced  right after they where traded.  The timing has been really bad IMO.  Anderson, Gill, Paddok, and Yelich.  Letting them develop at least one more year would have netted us a much bigger return?  It’s just unfortunate timing.  Kinda of the same with Hand, Castillo, and Andrew Miller.  The timing has been off. 

I like some of the trades, I think Jazz will have a breakout season.  

Paddock and Castillo were Loria throw ins for an extreme regression candidate and an average guy, respectively.  It's hard to fault the FO for those when they were driven or done by ownership.  Anderson - are you referring to Nick?  relievers can be fantastic one year and not so much the next, I don't have a problem with striking while the iron was hot there.  Yelich needs no further discussion.  Regarding Hand and Miller, they had been here for years and never performed that great for us.  Could have just been change of scenery type situations.  It's not as if we saw them pitch 5 games and dumped them.