2020/21 off-season

The marlins are continuing to check in on Santander and other OF bats, but no deal is imminent at this time. Expect them to continue to evaluate the market. 

- Jon Heyman in July of 2023 probably 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Just give it some time and it’ll go the distance.

Bonus points if any readers got the subtle math formula joke in this post.

At this rate, for us to get it, you’ll either have to repeat it many times or just distance yourself from it.

• Haha 1

Waiting for some Marlins news, which one would comes first ? A. another move, B. TV deal, C. somebody said he would taking his talents to South Beach in the YouTube ?

Edited by taiwanmarlin
14 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Can we bank on getting Santander?

Santander has a boat load of talent and will make us a Contender.

Is that how this works?  

14 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Waiting for some Marlins news, which one would comes first ? A. another move, B. TV deal, C. somebody said he would taking his talents to South Beach in the YouTube ?

D) Marlins decided to shut down completely and retract from MLB.  The Marlins organization and its fans were tired of hearing 24/7 complaints about the moves/lack thereof from a particular fan.

Edited by rmc523

Didn't wanna start a new thread for this but Craig Mish says Jonathan Villar was "disliked by all"... wow. What a strange 180 everyone went through on that guy. I still question the details here because I don't know if I've ever seen such a drastic change in such a short amount of time as to how a player is perceived by supposedly everyone around him. Came in so well received and then almost immediately it was like get this guy out of here. 

Screenshot_20210206-121140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.03bc639e7ab7ffcb9a523986dd1bd611.jpg

• Shocked 1
5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Didn't wanna start a new thread for this but Craig Mish says Jonathan Villar was "disliked by all"... wow. What a strange 180 everyone went through on that guy. I still question the details here because I don't know if I've ever seen such a drastic change in such a short amount of time as to how a player is perceived by supposedly everyone around him. Came in so well received and then almost immediately it was like get this guy out of here. 

Screenshot_20210206-121140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.03bc639e7ab7ffcb9a523986dd1bd611.jpg

That's interesting.  I wonder what he did that made him that way?  Just not getting with the program at all?

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Certainly is something! I know there was some word of him not ever buying in to what the front office wanted. And him swinging at total garbage on 3-0 and 3-1 pitches soured me on him very fast.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The Pirates signed Chasen Shreve to a minor league deal worth $1.5 if he makes the team.

The hell? Why are the Pirates signing anyone?

I'd say "it's smart, they can trade him at the deadline for a prospect or two," but Pittsburgh has awful ownership and management, so.

8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Though I am surprised, I can totally see that. No regrets though, he netted us Griffin Conine so I’m good with it

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

To add to that, a forgotten name from that bunch, Dee Gordon just signed a minor league deal with the Reds.

The Strange-Gordon trade is a bit of a forgotten gem. He was coming off a 3.6 fWAR season, but the Marlins had the foresight to cashout and turned him into SP Nick Neidert (likely backend starter), SS Chris Torres (defensive SS prospect), and Robert Dugger (RIP). Srange-Gordon went on to have 0.1 fWAR in the next 3 seasons, earning $37M in the process.

You're crazy if you don't love Strange-Gordon the person, but that trade and the timing of it was smart as heck.

• Like 2