2 hours ago, 97marlin said:

I looked around using baseball-reference pitcher splits. All-in-all it really is pitcher dependent. For example Pablo is noticeably better with Wallach. Alcantara is actually better with Alfaro. Yimi is always amazing. Sixto really only has 1 start with wallach and the game friday, so the sample is sort of small. If you go just by ERA in total Alfaro is better but almost half a run. But this begins to get into the issue with analyzing any marlins pitching stat in a wholistic way you start to include things like Yamamoto starts, or some of the Urena starts or honestly some of the other single a starts that did not go great.

This is actually a problem I have been facing when evaluating the team as a whole. There are so many at bats/starts/innings pitched by guys who just weren't ready for the majors that it's hard to get any sort of read on the team that is playing on the field. With Elieser Hernandez our young rotation is really really good, that's pretty much the extent that I have gotten. And the back of our bullpen, asside from Kintzler, has been pretty good as well. And Trevor Rogers overall has been a nice guy out of the pen. Other than that we are in a weird position where it's difficult to argue with Mattingly because there just isn't enough information to straight up say his decision was wrong (within reason). 

That's a fair point to consider too that I didn't think about.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, SilverBullet said:

From a viewing perspective I can agree with that... but here's a hot take that's crossed my mind many times lately... is a 60 game season actually better than 162? I think there are many positives that have been realized out of having this shorter season. With certain tweaks I could see A LOT of fans loving this style of a season more than the long 6 month crawl that we normally get. It will never happen for many reasons but I'm just saying, has anyone else thought of this or is it just me?

Just for discussion sake, I actually wouldn’t be 100% against a split season like they do in the minors. Two mini 60 game seasons in the year, two playoffs, a chance to reset, and shuffle rosters in the middle of the year before a second season (think trade deadline but better and between seasons). Still get 60 home games for ownership to profit from, more possibilities of play off revenue. Teams can capitalize off a hot 60 game stretch and maybe get a fringe team in there and boost attendance and interest, and it makes every game seem like it matters. Cause let’s be honest, even real fans don’t view April/May games as must watch baseball. Different, but I wouldn’t be against it 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Just for discussion sake, I actually wouldn’t be 100% against a split season like they do in the minors. Two mini 60 game seasons in the year, two playoffs, a chance to reset, and shuffle rosters in the middle of the year before a second season (think trade deadline but better and between seasons). Still get 60 home games for ownership to profit from, more possibilities of play off revenue. Teams can capitalize off a hot 60 game stretch and maybe get a fringe team in there and boost attendance and interest, and it makes every game seem like it matters. Cause let’s be honest, even real fans don’t view April/May games as must watch baseball. Different, but I wouldn’t be against it 

well, I'd argue that in a normal season many of us did watch the April/May games as must watch baseball because we were nearly eliminated by the time June would roll around over the past few seasons = )

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, hovertical said:

well, I'd argue that in a normal season many of us did watch the April/May games as must watch baseball because we were nearly eliminated by the time June would roll around over the past few seasons = )

Granted lol but you know what I mean 

Posted (edited)

The reasons why we need to do our best ( I won't use the "all in" anymore because it's too controversial ) to sign Realmuto. 

a. upgrade the lineup significantly.

b. upgrade the pitch-framing and game- calling of catcher significantly.

c. reduce the growing pain of young pitchers and promote the performance of veteran pitchers. 

d. relieve pressure on Wallach and he would be a great back up catcher. 

e. reduce the blaming of traded star players in this new regime because they sign back one. 

I don't like the word of "overpaying " because it seems be the excuse of not spend. I know the catcher wasn't the only position we need to upgrade but it's the most important one. Elite catcher is difficult to find and this would be the last chance to acquire JT.

Edited by taiwanmarlin
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

The reasons why we need to do our best ( I won't use the "all in" anymore because it's too controversial ) to sign Realmuto. 

a. upgrade the lineup significantly.

b. upgrade the pitch-framing and game- calling of catcher significantly.

c. reduce the growing pain of young pitchers and promote the performance of veteran pitchers. 

d. relieve pressure on Wallach and he would be a great back up catcher. 

e. reduce the blaming of traded star players in this new regime because they sign back one. 

I don't like the word of "overpaying " because it seems be the excuse of not spend. I know the catcher wasn't the only position we need to upgrade but it's the most important one. Elite catcher is difficult to find and this would be the last chance to acquire JT.

We don’t have to go the JT route.

I would target James McCann and Matt Weiters. McCann would probably be around 12 a year like Marte and Weiters would be around 3-4 but that’s not what I would do. We can upgrade while being cost efficient.

C- Weiters against Righties and a mentor to Alfaro

1B- Justin Smoak vs Righties and DH duties depending on matchup. You can go with Martin Gonzalez but I believe Smoak is a better fielder.

2nd- Josh Harrison 

RF- Joc Pederson moving Harold to Left and Dickerson to a permanent DH/ 4th fielder role so he can focus on hitting.

I would also resign everybody in our pen  but Vincent and look at Ken Giles and see if I could extend my pen by having one of him close. I would also see if I could hit on somebody like James Paxton for a cheap deal to add a veteran to the rotation. Put Rodgers or Garrett in the pen as a 6th starter to rest our rotation when needed. I would lean towards Rodgers doing that so he can and then slowly increase his load and transition Paxton to the same role over the next 2 years.

Potential Lineup 

1. SS Miggy Ro

2. LF Harold Ramirez

3. 3rd Brian Anderson

4. 1B Justin Smoak/Jose Aguilar

5. CF Starling Marte

6. RF Joc Pederson

7. DH Corey Dickerson

8. 2nd Josh Harrison

9. C Jorge Alfaro/Matt Weiters

Rotation 

1. Alcantara

2. Lopez

3. Paxton

4. Sixto

5. Garrett/Rodgers

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

We don’t have to go the JT route.

I would target James McCann and Matt Weiters. McCann would probably be around 12 a year like Marte and Weiters would be around 3-4 but that’s not what I would do. We can upgrade while being cost efficient.

C- Weiters against Righties and a mentor to Alfaro

1B- Justin Smoak vs Righties and DH duties depending on matchup. You can go with Martin Gonzalez but I believe Smoak is a better fielder.

2nd- Josh Harrison 

RF- Joc Pederson moving Harold to Left and Dickerson to a permanent DH/ 4th fielder role so he can focus on hitting.

With the exception of James McCann all the other guys you mentioned are at the tail end of their careers and aren't worthy of the money nor a starting position. The Marlins are gonna have the mentality now to spend a little more and improve their ball club significantly I just don't think any of those players help us improve.

Biggest Question? What do we do with the middle infield?

Does Jazz start back in the minors for 2021, Rojas at SS and Berti or Isan Diaz at 2B? Jazz brings more value IMO at SS but Rojas has improved the past 3 years and is our captain so until he stops producing that is his position. I just find that an interesting area.

Edited by CYmarlins
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

With the exception of James McCann all the other guys you mentioned are at the tail end of their careers and aren't worthy of the money nor a starting position. The Marlins are gonna have the mentality now to spend a little more and improve their ball club significantly I just don't think any of those players help us improve.

Biggest Question? What do we do with the middle infield?

Does Jazz start back in the minors for 2021, Rojas at SS and Berti or Isan Diaz at 2B? Jazz brings more value IMO at SS but Rojas has improved the past 3 years and is our captain so until he stops producing that is his position. I just find that an interesting area.

Cost efficient = short term fix...don’t know what to tell you on that. Joc is the only one in his 20’s still. 

I honestly love Tommy La Stella or Josh Harrison spending money or being cost efficient. Profar imo belongs in the OF, Schoop isn’t a fielder, and Kipnis hasn’t hit 250 or higher since ‘17. 

Jazz needs to focus on getting the ball in play and prove it on a consistent basis. He’s Miggy’s replacement but he needs to find consistency in his game. Berti isn’t an everyday starter and Isan has had his chance to make an impact and flash but he hasn’t. Essentially we need to sign somebody.

Edited by ZfromCIS

I think Jazz had the best showing of the minor league bats that were called up this season tbh.  He was getting absolutely victimized for awhile there by shitty umps to the point it literally impacted his numbers and he was forced to swing regularly at trash outside the zone.  I really want him starting on next seasons squad as i love his defense, energy, power, and speed. 

I'm sure ya'll think i'm nuts but I really fell off on the Sixto love. He became incredibly hittable after that hot start and just didn't look the same.  I really don't know what to make of him.  You look at him and you see some incredible raw stuff but man, he gets hit fackin' hard.  I mentioned this on a few other threads throughout the season but I still think something started bugging him in his back beginning with that first bad start he had.  I absolutely want the team to try and have a conditioning coach and nutritionist shadow that dude and get him into amazing shape to start the season. 

I think next season they could very well struggle to get to .500 but in the end that would still be considering a successful season overall considering the results of the last full season they played.  I'm more interested in seeing if MLB keeps this expanded playoff format because that could very well determine how the Marlins view FA

• Like 1
18 hours ago, hovertical said:

I think Jazz had the best showing of the minor league bats that were called up this season tbh.  He was getting absolutely victimized for awhile there by shitty umps to the point it literally impacted his numbers and he was forced to swing regularly at trash outside the zone.  I really want him starting on next seasons squad as i love his defense, energy, power, and speed. 

I'm sure ya'll think i'm nuts but I really fell off on the Sixto love. He became incredibly hittable after that hot start and just didn't look the same.  I really don't know what to make of him.  You look at him and you see some incredible raw stuff but man, he gets hit fackin' hard.  I mentioned this on a few other threads throughout the season but I still think something started bugging him in his back beginning with that first bad start he had.  I absolutely want the team to try and have a conditioning coach and nutritionist shadow that dude and get him into amazing shape to start the season. 

I think next season they could very well struggle to get to .500 but in the end that would still be considering a successful season overall considering the results of the last full season they played.  I'm more interested in seeing if MLB keeps this expanded playoff format because that could very well determine how the Marlins view FA

Yeah, he also showed a lot more control in his first couple of starts too, and showed less as he went on.

Also, he did well the first time against teams, but to your point did noticeably worse the next time against the same team.  Granted, it's a lot of starts close to each other vs. the same team that you wouldn't usually have in a normal season, but still.

• Like 1

MLBTR posted this for the Marlins' arbitration-eligible guys and projections:

Method 1: Applies model directly with actual statistics from this 60-game season

Method 2: Extrapolates all counting stats to would-be 162-game totals.  One home run becomes 2.7 home runs.

Method 3: For non-first-time eligibles, finds the raise they’d get in a 162 game season, then gives them 37% of that raise

Player - Method 1 / Method 2 / Method 3

Jesus Aguilar – $3.6MM /  $6.1MM / $3.9MM

Jorge Alfaro – $1.7MM / $2.2MM / $1.7MM

Brian Anderson – $2.2MM / $4.3MM / $2.2MM

Garrett Cooper – $1.5MM / $2.2MM / $1.5MM

Yimi Garcia – $1.4MM / $1.8MM / $1.4MM

Ryne Stanek – $800K / $800K / $800K

Drew Steckenrider – $800K / $800K / $800K

Jose Urena – $3.8MM / $4.2MM / $3.9MM

Richard Bleier – $1.1MM / $1.5MM / $1.1MM

• Like 2
On 10/20/2020 at 11:24 AM, taiwanmarlin said:

If you don't believe in Alfaro then replace him with the best one you could acquire. 

If you still believe in Alfaro then give him the best mentor. 

I like Molina here actually.  Ideally Molina would provide consistency and mentor the young arms.  You wouldn't have to shyly deliver pitches with Molina guarding the plate.

Ive been hard on Alfaro this year. His batting stats from years previous haven't been all that bad as I imagined. Can Alfaro really be an everyday (starting) catcher though?   In a traditional sense I don't think so.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Try to work out a new multi-year deal or a new one year deal with lower value ?

Maybe a mix of both? Like maybe try a 2 year deal but if it doesn't pan out they settle on a one year deal with another option for 2022... doing this keeps his salary reasonable and potentially extends him beyond 2021 without overpaying on some stupid long deal.

The win with Kintzler is how cheap he is compared to what grabbing a closer on the free agent market would currently cost. There's so many ways they can keep him in the fold and still have him be a relative bargain. They're in a great spot with him. There will probably be less reliable middle relievers who get more expensive contracts than Kintzler this offseason and we're here having to pay only about $4 million for a guy to stabilize the end of our bullpen.

• Like 1