Jump to content

9/7 Post Game Thread


Michael
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I'm seeing the later comments saying this is about the bunts. Here's how I see it: Both Berti and Jazz are plus runners. They aren't just up there looking to sacrifice. Plus, Jazz is a rookie with a history of high strikeout rates. If he's comfortable with bunting, which I think he is, then dropping the bunt there isn't the worst idea. Maybe not my choice, but definitely defendable.

And Berti? He is safe if that ball didn't hit his finger. And if he's safe at first, he's basically safe at second because there's no way in hell they're throwing him out on a steal attempt.

We got folks making it sound like Donnie pinch hit a pitcher for Aguilar. And if Berti and Jazz were safe, I'm sure Donnie would've gotten zero credit. Being a manager sucks.

I remember there was a time when managers used to bunt a runner from first to second just to tie/win a game. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Fyi the praise about the Marlins season and their future from the MLB network guys today was very apparent. 

I agree. It’s was nice to see the Marlins get some nice comments and respect in front of what was essentially a worldwide broadcast being on YouTube.

There could have been some people watching the Marlins for the first time this season or even the first time ever.

It wasn’t the most conventional game ever played, but definitely an entertaining one for sure, and who knows, maybe the Marlins might have picked up a couple new fans after today’s ballgame. 😂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

I thought 3rd and 1 out has better odds of scoring one run but 2nd and no outs has higher expected runs scored? If so then bunting in the top of the inning probably isn't great, but bunting in the bottom when tied or down by 1 may be best. All player dependent tho.

That's probably true.  It's kinda like the NFL, the road team usually goes for the win not the tie. 

However, in MLB the home team has the advantage batting in the bottom half.  

I was a little surprised the Braves played for the win first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Two extra inning games in a row where he hands the opposing team an out. You get three outs to score one run. You have a better chance to score with a runner on second and no outs than with a runner on third and one. 

You have a better chance of scoring 1 run, but a worse chance to score 2 or more. On average you will score more runs in the inning without the bunt, but if you only need 1 it is a good strategy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

I thought 3rd and 1 out has better odds of scoring one run but 2nd and no outs has higher expected runs scored? If so then bunting in the top of the inning probably isn't great, but bunting in the bottom when tied or down by 1 may be best. All player dependent tho.

Maybe it is giving too much credit to Mattingly, but the Braves had the 6-7-8 part of the lineup coming up and the shadows did play a role. With that in mind, going for 1 in the top half is completely defend able.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

Maybe it is giving too much credit to Mattingly, but the Braves had the 6-7-8 part of the lineup coming up and the shadows did play a role. With that in mind, going for 1 in the top half is completely defend able.

Shadows is a narrative made up by announcers. 99% of players have said the shadows don't make a difference, and science has proven that shadows will only affect a pitch if the batter has poor eyesight, which means he likely has larger issues anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Shadows is a narrative made up by announcers. 99% of players have said the shadows don't make a difference, and science has proven that shadows will only affect a pitch if the batter has poor eyesight, which means he likely has larger issues anyway. 

Link to some of this here info, please. 💙

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...