So do we like the new extra inning rule?

SilverBullet

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

Yeah, I didnt even take that into account, that's a very cheap "loss" to get hung on you and despite Wins and Losses not being looked at as closely as in olden days - I'm pretty sure pitchers still take pride in their W-L records.

most actually dont seem to give a fuck as w-l record doesnt actually pay the bills when it comes to contract time.

when wins were important, pitchers cared because they would get paid based on wins and losses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

most actually dont seem to give a fuck as w-l record doesnt actually pay the bills when it comes to contract time.

when wins were important, pitchers cared because they would get paid based on wins and losses.

It's not the only factor but I feel like win loss records still have a bit of a place in contract negotiations and arbitration hearings. At the very least a good one can only help the players case, especially for a starting pitcher who is more in control of their wins, having a significant more number of wins has to mean something. Like it isn't everything but I'm pretty positive Clayton Kershaw has an impressive win loss record so it has to account for something at times.

I just doubt that pitchers don't give a fuck at all about it. 

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

It's not the only factor but I feel like win loss records still have a bit of a place in contract negotiations and arbitration hearings. At the very least a good one can only help the players case, especially for a starting pitcher who is more in control of their wins, having a significant more number of wins has to mean something. Like it isn't everything but I'm pretty positive Clayton Kershaw has an impressive win loss record so it has to account for something at times.

I just doubt that pitchers don't give a fuck at all about it. 

Relief pitchers really dont give a fuck about it.

Starting pitchers might pretend to give a fuck about it, but considering the w/l record is probably the 10th thing brought up in hearings, its a nothing burger.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Das Texan said:

So you're saying if you were a pitcher and you had a choice of having a 8-0 record versus an 0-8 record you'd just not care either way?  Even in a competitive sense?  I know  just from a personal competitive spirit i'd greatly prefer to have fewer losses on my record even though they don't mean much.  That's all I was stating here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hovertical said:

So you're saying if you were a pitcher and you had a choice of having a 8-0 record versus an 0-8 record you'd just not care either way?  Even in a competitive sense?  I know  just from a personal competitive spirit i'd greatly prefer to have fewer losses on my record even though they don't mean much.  That's all I was stating here.

If I was 8-0 with a 6.40 ERA, I'd expect to be released any moment. Ain't no team in baseball signing guys for their 1870s stats.

Well, at least not since 2018...

On 9/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, SilverBullet said:

Waiting 3 innings gives every spot in the lineup at least one more chance to bat. Seems like a fair trade off if they really wanna push this.

Even two innings of extra isn't bad before going to the man on 2nd rule, but I would say no to this completely in post-season play

Edited by CyggyMarlin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.