Diaz optioned, Yamamoto recalled

Yamamoto has no business on a big league roster right now. Diaz should have at least been kept around as a defensive replacement for Cooper/Aguilar at first base. Not a huge deal, but we have guys who can mop up, which is all that Yamamoto should be doing at this point. I mean, Stanek hasn't thrown a baseball yet.

14 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Yamamoto has no business on a big league roster right now. Diaz should have at least been kept around as a defensive replacement for Cooper/Aguilar at first base. Not a huge deal, but we have guys who can mop up, which is all that Yamamoto should be doing at this point. I mean, Stanek hasn't thrown a baseball yet.

with the stretch of doubleheaders coming up i'm assuming they figured a pitcher, albeit one who has been atrocious this year, would still be more useful than a dude who is just as bad with a bat?

I would have preferred Castano, his last game vs. the Mets, while not great, was definitely an improvement over all his previous starts, especially after that moment when Miguel Rojas went to the mound to talk to him. 

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Guys who are brought up for double headers (whether it's to mop up or for a spot start) are never brought up before the day of the double header so the timing on this move is weird.

to be fair though, we've never really seen a stretch like what the Marlins are going to have to go through so maybe it's just a matter of getting an extra arm up for those games that are out of reach so they don't burn through the more valuable arms in tighter games.  I thought the timing was a little off too but there is that caveat i mentioned.

We get an extra guy on the roster every day that we have a double header though, so if we just needed an extra arm for that, we'd cycle guys through for the double header stretch. Yams coming back up now probably means he's getting another chance soon, maybe out of the bullpen. If he's going to work out of the bullpen, you can almost bet that Mattingly will bring him in at a critical point of a close baseball game because that's just what he always does. Remember, we're the team that gives starters with "potential" who have never shown actual "results" dozens and dozens of chances to keep proving what they've already proven, soooooo

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Mattingly says he's here as a long reliever, so basically he's assuming what was Dugger's mop up role.

Hopefully all the starters give us 5+ innings per start and there won’t be much of a need to use Yamamoto. Unless of course the Marlins are up by like 11 runs. 😂

5 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Hopefully all the starters give us 5+ innings per start and there won’t be much of a need to use Yamamoto. Unless of course the Marlins are up by like 11 runs. 😂

Yea that's exactly the point. You kinda never want to use your mop up guy but in reality eventually he does serve a purpose. 

4 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Really !? we need Jordan and don't need Lewin !?

In some ways actually yes that's true. The long reliever/mop up guy is needed once in a while. If Aguilar and Cooper are able to handle first base we don't exactly "need" a struggling Lewin. 

• Like 1
On 9/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, hovertical said:

to be fair though, we've never really seen a stretch like what the Marlins are going to have to go through so maybe it's just a matter of getting an extra arm up for those games that are out of reach so they don't burn through the more valuable arms in tighter games.  I thought the timing was a little off too but there is that caveat i mentioned.

well, I nailed this theory