9/9 Post Game Thread

W....T...F...

Saw the condensed game but now I'm glad I didn't torture myself through the full 9 innings. Yamamoto needs to get DFA'd ASAP. Holy hell... and what's gotten into Pablo lately? I thought he turned a new corner?

Well, just some thoughts from the highlights:

Happy for Jazz with his first hit AND HR.

I'm starting to lean towards thinking Brinson being a better defender than Monte. Good to see him hit a HR.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Look for the Marlins to take 6 of 7 from the Phillies and have a 25-20 record by next Tuesday..

Yep, it's going to happen.  

Tonights loss is just a loss.  We won the series, while the Braves won the media for the next couple of days.  

• Like 2

I'm ready to forget about this one and I'm confident the team can do the same but I still don't like the feeling that Mattingly gave up on this one early. Yes you want the long reliever to stay in the game as long as possible but our offense showed they were able to score more runs. Pablo gave up 7,  the Marlins quickly rebounded with 8, that says a lot to me.

And Yamamoto only pitched 2.2 innings. I don't see how using someone else would have taxed the entire bullpen. Worst case scenario you call up 2 relievers for today, including Dugger who would become the long reliever again. 

Whatever. 

My biggest concern with this one isn't about the Marlins, it's about giving the Braves some momentum and a confidence boost. It's only one game but it would have been so nice to sweep the Braves and leave them a bit rattled as we left Atlanta. If we had set the Braves on a little losing streak then our weekend series with the Phillies could have eventually been a battle over first place! 

That's all, now let's move on and murder the Phillies. 

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm ready to forget about this one and I'm confident the team can do the same but I still don't like the feeling that Mattingly gave up on this one early. Yes you want the long reliever to stay in the game as long as possible but our offense showed they were able to score more runs. Pablo gave up 7,  the Marlins quickly rebounded with 8, that says a lot to me.

And Yamamoto only pitched 2.2 innings. I don't see how using someone else would have taxed the entire bullpen. Worst case scenario you call up 2 relievers for today, including Dugger who would become the long reliever again. 

Whatever. 

My biggest concern with this one isn't about the Marlins, it's about giving the Braves some momentum and a confidence boost. It's only one game but it would have been so nice to sweep the Braves and leave them a bit rattled as we left Atlanta. If we had set the Braves on a little losing streak then our weekend series with the Phillies could have eventually been a battle over first place! 

That's all, now let's move on and murder the Phillies. 

I think what's not getting mentioned here is that he used all of Yamamoto's bullets, yes, but he also had to use all of Vesia's (50! pitches) and most of Josh A. Smith's (29) bullets too. So Mattingly had to use the entire back end of the bullpen just to eke out a final score. If Yamamoto doesn't ride the struggle bus for a full 2.2 IP, then the Marlins likely have to dip into their middle and back-end of the bullpen -- right before the 7 games in 5 days bonanza.

And while the offensive output was nice, this game was still decided in the 2nd inning. As much as we fans might emotionally want to see the Marlins make an aggressive move when the Marlins draw back to 13-7, that is still an enormous deficit:

spacer.png

After that disastrous 2nd inning, the Marlins maxed out with an 8.7% win probability in the 4th inning. And regardless, the team allowed 10 runs in the 2nd and only scored 9 total in the game.

I think leaving Yamamoto in the game was difficult to watch, but it was the right decision. Mitigating the damage today is not worth losing twice in the next two days.

• Like 2

Pablo will ultimately be fine. But he will have these outings from time to time. He's a low end #3, high end #4 pitcher. He belongs in this rotation. I just think expectations should be tempered with him moving forward. He's a solid pitcher.

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I think what's not getting mentioned here is that he used all of Yamamoto's bullets, yes, but he also had to use all of Vesia's (50! pitches) and most of Josh A. Smith's (29) bullets too. So Mattingly had to use the entire back end of the bullpen just to eke out a final score. If Yamamoto doesn't ride the struggle bus for a full 2.2 IP, then the Marlins likely have to dip into their middle and back-end of the bullpen -- right before the 7 games in 5 days bonanza.

And while the offensive output was nice, this game was still decided in the 2nd inning. As much as we fans might emotionally want to see the Marlins make an aggressive move when the Marlins draw back to 13-7, that is still an enormous deficit:

spacer.png

After that disastrous 2nd inning, the Marlins maxed out with an 8.7% win probability in the 4th inning. And regardless, the team allowed 10 runs in the 2nd and only scored 9 total in the game.

I think leaving Yamamoto in the game was difficult to watch, but it was the right decision. Mitigating the damage today is not worth losing twice in the next two days.

Agreed with this. Once it was 11-2, I think you just leave Yams in there as long as possible. In a normal season with off days and such, maybe you look at it differently. But this team has ZERO off days left and is about to play the 7 most consequential games of our season in a five-day span. Focus on that once you’re down 9. 

• Like 2

Guys, they have other pitchers ready to go in Jupiter.

They didn't have to use Kintzler Boxberger or Garcia last night but they could have gone with Stanek and others. Use a few last night, bring up a couple for tonight, then bring back others Friday or Saturday.

I assume they will replace Yamamoto on the roster before the game tonight. Not just due to his performance but due to the fact he couldn't pitch for several days again anyway after throwing around 100 last night. 

I already had two people who never talk to me about the Marlins ask me today about giving up 29 runs... WHERE WERE YOU when this team was winning all these other great games while doing great things behind great young players and our new phenom ace rookie of the year candidate???????

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Guys, they have other pitchers ready to go in Jupiter.

They didn't have to use Kintzler Boxberger or Garcia last night but they could have gone with Stanek and others. Use a few last night, bring up a couple for tonight, then bring back others Friday or Saturday.

I understand it more when it was 13-8 than 11-2. But if it were me, I still would have conceded at 11-2.

Yes, you have other pitchers. But those other pitchers suck. And last night was way more likely to be low-leverage time than the next 5 days' games are likely to be. So it does make a difference.

I agree, after an 11 run inning (with a marlins team that has only put up double digit runs once I believe) you just get by for the night and move forward preserving your bullpen as much as possible for the 7 game series. Taxing your whole bullpen to win one game when you’ve already won the series is not worth Handcuffing yourself in a 7 game series against the team that, realistically, is who you’re chasing in the standings. It’s an annoying ass loss, but at least we go into the series with a pretty fresh bullpen and (hopefully) some embarrassment-driven motivation to win

• Like 1